Odd grinding sound

This is a discussion on Odd grinding sound within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 02 WRX, new clutch and flywheel, full exhaust and intake, stock everything else The sound seems to be coming from ...

Odd grinding sound

02 WRX, new clutch and flywheel, full exhaust and intake, stock everything else

The sound seems to be coming from the tranny, but I could be wrong. There are only two driving situations that makes it happen:
    1) engine braking with RPM's higher than 2000 with the majority in the 2000 to 3000 range. Once it drops below 2000, it goes away.
    2) barely on the gas, no acceleration in the same RPM range

As soon as I add in any accelleration, whether it be very easy, or going full out, the sound goes away. All gears feel fine. Shifts great, and it stays in whatever gear I put it in. I changed the fluid in both diffs...no shavings.
    Any ideas?
    Owner of the Budget Baller
    Bugeye Mafia #201
    Current mods: CAI, SPT exhaust, D-specs w/RCE Yellows, F/R Group N top hats, JDM lip kit, LWFW, F/R sways and endlinks, morettes, tuned at Agile Auto (10/9/10)
    Next project: EvoIII-16g, pnp, 850 injectors, fuel pump, and a little secret.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ttt
    Bugeye Mafia #201
    Current mods: CAI, SPT exhaust, D-specs w/RCE Yellows, F/R Group N top hats, JDM lip kit, LWFW, F/R sways and endlinks, morettes, tuned at Agile Auto (10/9/10)

my 03 wrx did same thing

its the rear diff

Really? I just replaced the fluid in both diffs and neither one had any shavings on the plug. Is it a bearing? I talked to one of my mechanics who is very familiar with the STi's. His first guess was the front diff, or a surrounding heat shield. But, after taking a look, there isn't a heat shield there, so...

Is there anything that I could do to the rear diff to take it off the list of possible reasons?
    Bugeye Mafia #201

Question not sure

if it were the tranny you would know it cause you would be missing a gear. once one tooth goes the rest follow shortly. which end of the vehicle is the sound coming from?

Sounds like it's coming from the area around my feet, which is why I thought it was the tranny. On the other hand, I have a warped rotor which is making noise, so that might be contributing to the issue as well. But, like you said, if something was wrong with it, there would be a definite sign. Which leads me to the front diff..
    Bugeye Mafia #201

Does the sound change with speed and/or rpm? If so, which one(s) and how does it change?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Does the sound change with speed and/or rpm? If so, which one(s) and how does it change?
    Yes to the RPM. It happens in every gear, mainly when engine braking between 2000 and 3000 rpm.
    Bugeye Mafia #201

not sure mine was in the rear diff

but its making the same noise it sounds like, could be front diff or maybe the axle shafts/cv joints or even a wheel bearing