Turbo? Cluth? Flywheel? Tranny? Whats the problem?

This is a discussion on Turbo? Cluth? Flywheel? Tranny? Whats the problem? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got my first Wrx a few weeks ago and am running into some rpm problems. I noticed it while ...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar

Turbo? Cluth? Flywheel? Tranny? Whats the problem?

I got my first Wrx a few weeks ago and am running into some rpm problems. I noticed it while in 2nd slightly pushing it but not too hard. I got to about 5000 rpm cleanly with average boost. Then the rpm's spiked to 7000 in an instant with no acceleration to match. It was as if the car had dropped into neutral. I wasnt on the clutch and it stayed in gear the whole time. My clutch is starting to go and im replacing that this week. Could it be the clutch going and messing with things or is it a seperate problem?

Its a 2003 with 97k miles on it
    no upgrades (full exhaust goes on this week)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

must be the cluth
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

thats kind of what i was thinking.
    So hopefully when i get the new one on in a couple days it will go away. Anyone know of any other reasons? Im hoping the answer to that is no, but just want to be sure

as mentioned my first approach would be the clutch also...What happens if you nail the gas when your crusing in 3rd gear? Are you hitting your boost targets?

It takes it a few seconds to get much acceleration or boost if i punch it while cruising in 3rd

i attribute some of this to the fact that the stock exhaust is still on it but it does seem to be lacking some power. Im not getting the boost numbers i would expect (the gauge is off a little) but even factoring that in im getting 2 to 3 pounds less than i think i should

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    It takes it a few seconds to get much acceleration or boost if i punch it while cruising in 3rd

i attribute some of this to the fact that the stock exhaust is still on it but it does seem to be lacking some power. Im not getting the boost numbers i would expect (the gauge is off a little) but even factoring that in im getting 2 to 3 pounds less than i think i should
    Start with the clutch and test it afterwords. Spiking RPMs under high throttle are a sign of heavy clutch wear.
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX, Kartboy short throw kit, new shifter bushings and rebuildable linkage, Class N Subaru motor and transmission mounts, TiC polyurethane driveline bushings

Coming Soon: Kartboy pitch stop, Samco IC hoses, and major transmission work.

thanks for all the imput.
    im almost completely convinced it is the clutch. It is starting to get worse so im driving it the least amount possible and as easy as possible until i get it replaced. The clutch assembly should be in today so hopefully i didnt hurt any other parts while driving it.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your clutch is on it's way out. It should be markedly worse the higher the gear you're in.

Oddly, when my clutch let go, it would hold on like a bugger in 5th gear, but wouldn't hold on at all in 4th, 3rd, or 2nd. I had 1/128th of an inch before the rivits started eating my flywheel.

I drove it so long with a bad clutch that I'm still afraid, 5 months later, that if I floor it in 4th on the freeway, it'll slip.

Thanks for the help.
    The new clutch is going on right now along with full turbo back exhaust . I'll post an update once it is all on and i've driven it for a few days