too much oil? possible damage?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on too much oil? possible damage? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just purchased a WRX and decided to take it to Quick Lube for the first oil change (first time ...

Thumbs down too much oil? possible damage?

I just purchased a WRX and decided to take it to Quick Lube for the first oil change (first time I haven't done it by myself on any car). I got the correct Mobile-1 Filter and asked them what kind of oil they'd be using. They put in 0w-30 Mobile-1. My engine was hot and they drained it after it was off only maybe 5 minutes. Then filled it, and he showed me the dipstick. Said the first mark was low, second was good, and the half-circle notch was the absolute full mark.

Well, later that day my friend wanted to go for a ride so I took him around his block. I drove it hard but did not red line it. I got about 1,000rpm away from it. When we stopped there was a horrrible burning smell.

After researching it, I discovered the notch it for measuring where the oil should be if checked hot.
    What is the severity of the problem?

I am taking it back today to have them drain it to the notch after it has run hot.
    Is there any damage that could be have been done that I should confront them about?

It is a new car (for me) with 71,500 miles and I haven't had it a week even. It is in very very good shape and I need it to last through college (including my trip from home in Cleveland to North Tahoe, Nevada for college each year.)

Also, I checked the oil after it had cooled down a little bit and it seemed to be over the notch a good half inch or more. Ive read Subie dipsticks are innaccurate. What should I do in the future with changing the oil to make sure I get it right, because after this I deffinately will be doing it myself again.

Sorry for the lengthy post just trying to give ya all the info I got.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well #1 I surely wouldnt have put in 0w30...these engines can be a bear to get the oil level mark dead on...more or less all current Subaru turbo Models take about 5 qts. of oil...how much did they charge you for? To make sure you get it right in the future just buy 5 quarts of oil and dump her in, that is after you let her drain for about 5-10 min...

what should I use instead of 0w-30? I live near cleveland we have fairly hot summers. its 65-85 right now and its barely summer. can I leave the 0w-30 in for the next 3k miles? oh and I paid $80

I Support ClubWRX
    What year is your car? Is it a new 09 or what?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I can tell you that as a mechanic, I never check or drain the engine oil when the motor is hot. Every time that you do that you will get an incorrect reading. Generally as far as type of oil goes, unless you are running a modified engine, stick with the recommendd engine oil for your car. I would say that I would recommend running a fully synthetic engine oil over a non-synthetic oil.
    Wicked Effects
    Blobeye Syndicate #108

Dear lord...$80.00!..for an oil change...we charge like $25.00 and thats a Subaru Dealer price... That had to be some REALLY special oil......put in how much the dealer recommends....which should be around 5 qts...ive seen the new EZ36 in the Tribecas take anywhere from 6- over 8 quarts...so these engines are kind of quirky when it comes to oil...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What year is your car? Is it a new 09 or what?
    He has 75k+ on the car... I'm assuming not.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

its a 2003 stock-to-the-bone WRX.

Like I said I usually change my own oil, but I was already there and on my way to work afterwards, plus I couldn't let it cool between school and work.

I know that they charge more too because they inflate the tires, oil the doors, fill the washer fluid, and check all other fluids so they can rape you with a labor charge or something.

I think the manual suggested 5w-30 or 10w-30
    and Autozone where I got a filter checked my oil capacity and the computer said 4.8 so using 5 quarts sounds about right.

My biggest concern is there's harm I letting it run a little high on the 0w-30 oil in it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by taWRX1990 View Post

My biggest concern is there's harm I letting it run a little high on the 0w-30 oil in it?
    This should not be a problem.

If you smell burnt oil they either didn't clean up well or there is a leak. The volume they used is unlikely to have caused the smell.

0W-30 is fine since, at operating temperature, it is equivalent to 5W-30 or 10W-30.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.