Turbo problems

This is a discussion on Turbo problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was underboosting. So I went to cobb and talked to them. The guy told me to adjust the length ...

Turbo problems

I was underboosting. So I went to cobb and talked to them. The guy told me to adjust the length of my wastegate actuator arm, which would make my boost increase to where it should be. I did this and now I dont have any boost, I now have vacuum. And when I get to around 3000 rpm it whines really loud. Any body know what i need to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many turn have you gave to your arm actuator? If you have lower your spring to much the turbo wastegate will open as soon as there is a little pressure in the vacuum line.

It kind of sounds like you adjusted it the wrong way.... take a look here...I believe it explains it in there somewhere... http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/ima...mWorksv109.pdf

Alright I was on my way to turbo lab yesterday and all of a sudden I have boost again. Could this have been that it just wasnt adjusting to what i had done? Also I am only getting 13.1 psi and am stage 2. I dont really want to mess with the actuator again. What else is there that i can do or should i just leave it alone.

k so my boost keeps randomly droping down to like 6 psi and then after a bit will go to 11 psi. What is going on? Is this a problem with my turbo or my tune or something else? Also i realized today when i took my intercooler off that there is ALOT of oil in my turbo. When i say alot i mean it is completely black in there. Does this mean time to replace turbo or just seals?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebro View Post
    I was underboosting. So I went to cobb and talked to them. The guy told me to adjust the length of my wastegate actuator arm, which would make my boost increase to where it should be. I did this and now I dont have any boost, I now have vacuum. And when I get to around 3000 rpm it whines really loud. Any body know what i need to do?
    you should check all your boost lines to make sure there not twisted or have any cracks or leeks. good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by redwrx04 View Post
    you should check all your boost lines to make sure there not twisted or have any cracks or leeks. good luck...
    +1 I had the exact same problem 2 weeks ago and it was because of a crack in the vacuum line on the side of the restrictor pills.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd recommend sticking with fixing your wastegate arm first then go from there. Make sure you didn't turn the arm to a funny angle etc. Readjust it so you can feel just a slight touch of spring pressure when you put it back onto the wastegate for now. You should have been turning the end clockwise when viewing from the turbo side to the actuator (end on - i.e. you were supposed to screw the head on further toward the lock nut to shorten the wastegate arm).

Don't forget to reset the ECU and watch for boost spikes as well.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Alright so i replaced my turbo now. It is one from a 06. I put it on and was only getting around 9 psi. Replaced all the vacuum lines and am getting around 10.5psi now. Ive also tried running with the restictor pill not in. What else could my problem be?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebro View Post
    Alright so i replaced my turbo now. It is one from a 06. I put it on and was only getting around 9 psi. Replaced all the vacuum lines and am getting around 10.5psi now. Ive also tried running with the restictor pill not in. What else could my problem be?
    Get a tune. It sounds like you're just throwing ideas at something that isn't necessarily wrong. Don't run without the restrictor pill in... it'll make you only be able to hit spring pressure, which is around 7lbs of boost.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Get a tune. It sounds like you're just throwing ideas at something that isn't necessarily wrong. Don't run without the restrictor pill in... it'll make you only be able to hit spring pressure, which is around 7lbs of boost.
    What are you not thinking is wrong. With the accesport i should be boosting closer to 14 psi. And only getting around 10psi. And i only tried without the pill because the guy i bought the turbo from told me to see what it does. He might have been a little confused though.
    So im just trying to see if there are any other ideas anybody on here has that might help me to get my boost where it should be.