Throttle Delay, Lag and Poor Hot Weather Performance

This is a discussion on Throttle Delay, Lag and Poor Hot Weather Performance within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey All, I have been trying to figure this one out for a while and have no clue what to ...

Throttle Delay, Lag and Poor Hot Weather Performance

Hey All,

I have been trying to figure this one out for a while and have no clue what to make of it anymore. Maybe you have some ideas!

I have a stock '05 WRX wagon. The car idles great and runs like a champ once I hit 3,000+ RPMs, but in the low range it is frustrating. If I put the accelerator to the floor (sitting still), there is a significant delay before the RPMs rise and it is a very slow rise until the turbo kicks in. It also gets quite a bit worse as the weather gets hot.

I have cleaned the air filter and replaced (and gapped) the spark plugs, and will be putting in some injector cleaner tomorrow, but I can't seem to pinpoint any significant problems. Everything sounds fine and the car drives ok, but God forbid I take a corner and leave it in second gear...there is just no torque at low revs.

Maybe the 2.0L engine performs like this and I never realized it when I bought the car, but I am pretty sure that a Prius can outrun me right now (no offense Prius owners...). As a benchmark, if I rev my engine, it takes about 1-2 seconds to get to 6000 RPMs. 3/4 of that time is spent below 3,000.

Thanks in advance!
    Phil
    Last edited by brackenaero; 04-25-2009 at 07:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's stock, that's why.

Going stage 1 will improve this problem dramatically. I still need to get it done with mine. The 09's do have a little extra torque in the bottom than the 2.0L models, but it's still weak until it hits boost, and the throttle response is crap.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.