Check Engine Light
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Check Engine Light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a 2002 WRX from a used car dealer near me. It has 88000 miles on it. When ...

Check Engine Light

I just bought a 2002 WRX from a used car dealer near me. It has 88000 miles on it. When driving the car won't accelerate past 4500 rpm. When it gets to 4500 rpm it almost feels like its hitting overboost as I have experienced that in my Shelby Z. I also notice when driving it it pops or backfires between shifts once and a while. Any ideas? Heres is what was done to the car.

TurboXS FMIC
    VF34 Turbo
    Bigger injectors
    Invidia DP and Borla catback
    header
    GReddy Turbo Timer
    Manual Boost Controller
    Piggyback ECU. Brand ? I have to check
    AEM CAI

Here are the codes it reads.
    P0447 Evap emission contol vent circuit open
    P0126 O2 sensor circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2
    P0172 System too rich bank 1
    P0301 Misfire 1
    P0302 Misfire 2
    P0303 Misfire 3
    P0304 Misfire 4
    P1139 Control fuel air metering
    P0447 Pending
    P0136 Pending
    P0172 Pending

The dealer told me the reason the CEL was on was just because of the exhaust so I was mad when I saw all of the codes. Anyone have any input?
    Last edited by Suby Newby; 04-24-2009 at 09:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like you have a bad '02 sensor.

Would it throw most of those codes?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Suby Newby View Post
    Would it throw most of those codes?
    P0126 O2 sensor circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2
    P0172 System too rich bank 1
    P0301 Misfire 1
    P0302 Misfire 2
    P0303 Misfire 3
    P0304 Misfire 4
    P1139 Control fuel air metering

It could throw those. Is your car bogging and hesitating and/or getting bad gas mileage?

Where would that sensor be located and where would be a good place to buy one? Would a chain parts store sensor do the trick? What could cause the evap code? The car actually runs really well, but does cough or hiccup some once and a while. At startup the idle goes up and down some. As for mileage I'm not sure. I've put maybe 100 miles on it so far.

I the car back to the dealer and they fixed the radio and dome lights that weren't working. It was a broken wire. Now the keyless entry works and the tripometer dosn't reset itself when the car is turned off. The car runs better now too. There was a switch on the dash by the fog lights that was set on 0, when its set on 1 it runs like a raped ape. I almost gave myself whiplash when I first stepped on it. I pulled up the carpet and removed the foot plate and the piggyback ecu is a Turbo-XS UTEC unit, its silver and reads says turbo xs which I'm guessing is the older UTEC ecu. After a little reading I found out the switch is for changing maps. The CEL is still on and the car bogs from 1k to 2k so I'm going to check the codes and see if anything changed. Where can I find info on the preset maps?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.