Possible strut replacment.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Possible strut replacment. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got the klunk in the trunk problem. I've already replaced the right rear strut under factory warranty mid last ...

Possible strut replacment.

I got the klunk in the trunk problem. I've already replaced the right rear strut under factory warranty mid last year. Bumper to bumper warranty is out now so I would be covering the cost out of pocket. My question is if I have a bad strut what is the down side if I do not replace it right away. I've talked to Subaru and if it is the right side again it will be covered by Subaru, but I wouldn't think it would be the right one sense it was just replaced. Now I've searched threads for this problem because I know it's been an issue but would still like to get some further opinoins. Any help would really be appriciated.

On a side note Subaru quoted me a price of $400.00 for the strut and $150.00 for labor, does this sound about right.
    "Blobeye Syndicate #50"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let me just say first struts are very easy to replace, its taking the spring out is the bad part but you need to find out what you need to replace. cool thing about struts you can remove the whole thing at once....if you didnt get it replace you would have poor handling.if its the shock thats out then you would get cuping wear on your tire... for labor and parts i thnk you can get a use one prity cheap and do it your self...and if you are going to do it you self you have to mark the bolts on the bottom strut mounts other wise your camber(inward tilt of the tire) will be off and that's one reason they would charge you for an alignment job...but the job should only take 20min or less if you know what you are doing

IF you do decide to takle a strut job yourself...BE VERY CAREFUL..I have seen springs fly off before because people didnt know what they where doing and it isnt pretty...Man $400 for a single strut...take a look here I have never ordered anything off of these guys but there prices are pretty reasonable... http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...hp?partid=5748

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can rent a decent spring compressor from the auto parts stores. Just be careful with it.

You can get four quality struts for a little more. Are your fronts original? I would just do all four.

These guys are vendors, if you order call for member pricing:
    Tokico D-Spec Adjustable Shocks/Struts (WRX) - Modern Automotive Performance
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by evoeater1985 View Post
    Let me just say first struts are very easy to replace, its taking the spring out is the bad part but you need to find out what you need to replace. cool thing about struts you can remove the whole thing at once....if you didnt get it replace you would have poor handling.if its the shock thats out then you would get cuping wear on your tire... for labor and parts i thnk you can get a use one prity cheap and do it your self...and if you are going to do it you self you have to mark the bolts on the bottom strut mounts other wise your camber(inward tilt of the tire) will be off and that's one reason they would charge you for an alignment job...but the job should only take 20min or less if you know what you are doing
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    IF you do decide to takle a strut job yourself...BE VERY CAREFUL..I have seen springs fly off before because people didnt know what they where doing and it isnt pretty...Man $400 for a single strut...take a look here I have never ordered anything off of these guys but there prices are pretty reasonable... http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...hp?partid=5748
    Thank's for the info, car is already at the dealership and they tell me it's an extra long bolt where the strut and control arm meet. Does this sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    You can rent a decent spring compressor from the auto parts stores. Just be careful with it.

You can get four quality struts for a little more. Are your fronts original? I would just do all four.

These guys are vendors, if you order call for member pricing:
    Tokico D-Spec Adjustable Shocks/Struts (WRX) - Modern Automotive Performance
    Those look like a nice setup but it doesn't look like they are available for the 05 STI.
    "Blobeye Syndicate #50"

I Support ClubWRX
    STi struts here - I know your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    IF you do decide to takle a strut job yourself...BE VERY CAREFUL..I have seen springs fly off before because people didnt know what they where doing and it isnt pretty..
    I've had mine off a few times with pretty stiff (270 lbs) springs. A compressor is not really needed, but nonetheless helpful.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Question 05 Sti Back Strut Problem

So I have the same trunk clunk problem. I have an '05 Sti and I am trying to figure the best way handle this problem. Does anyone suggest a good strut/spring kit for an 05 STI?

I knew it...The Subaru dealership near me screwed me over. I told them I thought the noise was coming from the suspension, but they said it was the trunk. They replaced the hinges and the sound is there and getting worse... morons...

Thanks for having the same problem as me so I know whats going on haha
    proud owner of a 2004 Subaru WRX STI, silver on silver (pics should be taken when i get home on dec 8)

Toyota Celica GT-S (my baby who got run over by a drunk driver)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.