@WOT 06 STi Sputters above 3k rpm

This is a discussion on @WOT 06 STi Sputters above 3k rpm within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car has 46K miles Oil, Power Steering Belt, spark plugs all done recently. Cat Back Exhaust Just replaced stock air ...

Exclamation @WOT 06 STi Sputters above 3k rpm

Car has 46K miles
    Oil, Power Steering Belt, spark plugs all done recently.
    Cat Back Exhaust
    Just replaced stock air filter with a K&N filter element.

Other than the above listed, the only other things done to the car was an install of a utec with a stage 1 map and parameters (from their site). This issue occurs regardless if the utec is in the car or not. Seems to have happened around the time the air filter was replaced and the utec was installed for the first time.

Right now the utec is out of the car but it sputters seemingly after it starts to make boost and anywhere from 60 to 100 percent open throttle. No cel flashing or other obvious warnings.

I am thinking it could be the 02 sensor? I am going to be getting a wide band to tune the utec, but until then I am leaving the stock ecu in charge.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advanced,
    Incorpse

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First make sure the air box is tightened down all the way...we see alot of these problems because people didnt reinstall the airbox properly....Did you use stock Subaru plugs? Was this problem there before the plug change?

I'll check the airbox now, the plugs are iridium gapped to .30 or there about if I remember correctly. the plugs were in maybe a month and a half with no problems. I did have a perrin short ram air intake on, but took it off since the stock box was said to be enough air for up to 430hp or so and with a K&N filter it would breath well enough.

It really happened around the time of the air filter change and utec experiment. So, air filter check it is. I'll update my findings once I come back inside.

Thanks!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Also make sure your MAF is clean and installed correctly (not backwards)
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Overall the intake seemed to be alright. I looked around for any vacuum lines that could have been disconnected and came to the conclusion that nothing was loose. On to getting the utec back in and see what is being reported when I notice issues.

throwing any CELs?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Had something VERY similar happen with my Outback, ended up being the bolt on the cam sensor had backed out some and the ground was intermittent. Worth a look anyway.

I'll check the cam sensor and ground, as for CEL's, not a one.

If there was some error of any kind I'd be able to focus on something, now it is engine management systems in general and there is a lot to check. Curses.

*edit*
    As another piece of info, the problem only really shows itself in 3rd gear and higher.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Incorpse; 04-23-2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: New info

Thats good..your on the right track...If the problem wasnt there before the air filter install and the utec install 9 out of 10 its one of these is causing your problem...

wouldn't the utec kill any CEL that might be thrown?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Well the utec would if it was installed. Currently it is out of the car so I would assume that the ecu would throw one now if there was an issue.

I was on a DSM site and found a post that mentioned the plug cables could be jacked up. I'll check them next.

I was wondering if my catback exhaust could cause any issue like this. Something came loose perhaps? I'll check that when the car cools off again.

Thanks for the recommendations.