Changing timing belt on JDM engine
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Changing timing belt on JDM engine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have a 93 JDM wrx with ej20. Wanting to change timing belt, it has 122k on it. Shop book at ...

Post Changing timing belt on JDM engine

Have a 93 JDM wrx with ej20. Wanting to change timing belt, it has 122k on it. Shop book at work quotes the USDM change at 3.7 hours for a t-belt change. Does the 03 wrx ej20 use the same parts as the my jdm ej??

I noticed every subaru uses the same alt, p/s and a/c belts. All the part numbers are the same. So i bought those two belts for mine and they work great.

Opinions on the t-belt??

What else should I be changing when Im in there?/?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Subaru timing belts from 1990-current havent really changed that much at all...they are extremely easy jobs to accomplish I would recommend reading here... http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5Timing.pdf also poke around a little more on that endwrench site..there are a few different tutorials on t-belt change or SOHC or DOHC....Personally while your in there...I recommend replacing the water pump, timing belt tensioner,timing belt, all the timing belt idlers, cam seals, crank seal, and reseal the oil pump...the way we do it at work which i kind of dont agree on is only replace what the problem is.EX:..if someone comes in for a t-belt change and we see a cam seal leaking and no crank seal leaking we only change the cam seal....Anyways like I said extremely simple job...just make sure you have all the timing marks lined up before you remove the old belt and make sure you have the new belt on correctly...Im assuming you have a DOHC engine ( i could be wrong)...these engines are highly interference so be careful...

It is the DOHC model. But it can only go in one position im assuming the belt itself so I'm not to worry about having valves or pistons run into each other. I have done a couple interference engines before, but none being a boxer design.

It says I will need some special tools for the job, like the crank holder.. Anything I will forsure NEED to complete this job aside from your regular shop tools??

Thanks again, Sean

you should be able to get it done with regular shop tools....however you will need something to hold the crank pulley (personally ive used a belt wrench and it works rather well)..Im not to sure what kind of cam sprockets you have on that thing (metal/plastic resin)...as known we didnt get the WRX EJ20 over in the US until 2002...but before I worked for Subaru I kind of made do with my own tools on all the Subaru Timing belts I did and cam seals i replaced So It can definately be done without the specialty tools...

Alright, thats what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the link by the way, good information there!!

no prob man...and yeah that link is great...and you know the info on there is 100% correct because the whole reason that website/magazine exists is to help Subaru Techs...lol... compared to some of these other sites online...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.