blowing smoke out of intake?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on blowing smoke out of intake? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i iv just brought my first subaru and really love it but its giving me a bit of trouble but ...

blowing smoke out of intake?

i iv just brought my first subaru and really love it but its giving me a bit of trouble but the main 1 is that its running pretty ruff now and i checkd air flow meter (unplugd and startd and still ran the same so its buggerd right?) and while the pipe was off i revd it a couple of times and its blowing smoke straight out of turbo and blows a bit out of exhaust on start up untill its warm and un till its warm its real jolty doesnt like driving at all is this my turbo gone as well? and its running 15 psi and the only way 2 get it 2 run what i wont (8-10) through boost tap is to keep the green and black wires under the dash connectd i if any1 could give me some light on whats up with my car it would b much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year is the car? JDM? USDM? Do you have any CEL codes? What model is the car? connecting the green PDI connectors kind of puts the car in a limp mode..that is prob why ( by the sounds of it) your running wastegate pressure...is this blue smoke? white smoke? USUALLY when you get a puff of blue smoke on startup your valve guide seals are shot.. but i dont want to make any assumptions...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 04-22-2009 at 08:58 AM.

first thanks a lot 4 ur help. it is a 1994 impressa wrx wagon was told its a version 2. ariel modle # gf8b58d engine ej20g not sure what u mean about jdm or usdm cel codes sorry im new 2 subarus its my first 1 and real keen 2 learn about it. and its blue smoke out of exhaust on start up but once its warm it doesnt blow any and looks 2 b white coming out of intake but it was gatting dark so couldnt c 2 much
    Last edited by im lost?; 04-22-2009 at 11:47 PM.

jdm = japanese domestic market (jap version)

usdm = us domestic market (us version)

Quote Originally Posted by im lost? View Post
    not sure what u mean about jdm or usdm

What he means by JDM vs USDM is, was this car originally sold in Japan (JDM) or the United States (USDM).

Also, the blue smoke is usually indicative or burning oil.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

how many miles are on the car? With the green and black connectors disconnected..Is your CEL on? If It is we need to find the codes first... I have a 1994 Subaru Impreza. I just purchased i... - JustAnswer ...this outlines how you should be able to read the flash codes...

it has 283 000km on the clock but was told its a different motor by previous owner bt whos knows. i just un plugd them and light doesnt flash it stays on untill i give it any gas and then stays off till im idleing again and when they are conectd it shows 32 45 and 52 but in the past its showd 22 23 and i think 35 but those dont come up any more. im nt sore how 2 tell if its a jdm or usdm. oh and when the green n black wires arnt conect it idles even ruffer and misses alot more.

well It has to be JDM because we didnt have the EJ20 in 1993.... Subaru 1983-1995 OBD1 Decoder Take a look...the three codes you mentioned are here..I will say the codes you have def. have the possibility of making the vehicle run rough....If I where you I would take a can of 2+2 and spray it around the vaccum lines
    (generously)..if your idle changes...you have found a potential problem...also make sure all the vacuum lines and such are in good condition and hooked up properly... Also with like 175,000 and the car being 15+ years old these sensors could also have taken a crap...but I guess this still doesnt really explain your oil burning problem....Was the CEL on when you bought the car?....

ok thanks 4 that il try a can of 2+2 and get the new sensors that those codes r telling me thy are and will c what that does. yes the cel light was on but car run fine

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    jdm = japanese domestic market (jap version)

usdm = us domestic market (us version)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pactin View Post
    What he means by JDM vs USDM is, was this car originally sold in Japan (JDM) or the United States (USDM).

Also, the blue smoke is usually indicative or burning oil.
    It's a 94... what do you two think.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.