Help!! p0301
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help!! p0301 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; car just threw this code, i have had a bad pre cat for a while, 19000 miles on the 03 ...

Help!! p0301

car just threw this code, i have had a bad pre cat for a while, 19000 miles on the 03 wrx. is this bad what do i do?
    my brother was driving it, wasnt in the car, said he was backing out and it popped up. I cleared the code, drove it going 50ish give or take for 5-10 miles car was driving fine, and cant get it to come back up, but im hearing this slightly wierd intermittent sound coming from the drivers side of the engine, only at idle, when i rev it up i cant hear it, but its some kind squeek and clunk combination lol. any ideas im scared for my engine.
    completely stock car, and i cant smell anything funny

just put 20 more miles on it and it wont come on again
    Last edited by Yellowsubi; 04-21-2009 at 11:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That code is cyl#1 has detected a misfire....this is a 1 trip code so if the ECU sees anything again it will throw the light...how is the idle? listen at the exhaust do you hear it missing? How old are the spark plugs in the car? are all your coil packs connected? any recent engine work?

im not sure about the coil packs, the car has 19000 miles and sat in a guys driveway for 3 years before i bought it a month ago. the idle is good, no engine work done yet, planning on doing a complete upgrade next week. but something fishy is going on because i know i have a broken EGT sensor, and when ive been driving it on the highway the cel comes on for p0546. Ever since i reset the codes ive been driving on the highway and no cel is coming on when before it was automatic to pop a p0546 in 3 minutes on the highway.

is my ecu trashed? cause it definately should be throwing that code. and every other time i put in my scan tool it says no link the other half it says 0 codes.

whats the history behind the car?...This could be as simple as a loose connection(s) somewhere...Ive gotten this quite often actually either the pins back out of the OBD II connector of they back out of the ECU harness connector...Ok...do this...unplug your EGT sensor..drive the car see it throws a CEL..which it def. should as long as the ECU wasnt pirated by romraider or accessport or anything...If it DOESNT throw a CEL well take it from there....

did that, it threw a code 13 miles after, and i cant get it to throw that misfire code again, so maybe just a fluke?

TIME FOR SPARK PUGS and do not get any other kind but the ones made for that car....Misfires are funny you never know how or why its happing.. the code not coming back at first is cuz you need to go though drive cycles and no you ecm is not trashed but think of how the engine is working and imagine why it would misfires No spark? to small of a spark plug gap? not enough Kp voltage? bad COP bad wires or connector thous are things to look for,, if you are wonder were Cylinder 1 is when you are look at the motor its on the left side closet to you

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.