Alternator problem?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Alternator problem? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 WRX and replaced the alternator in the car about 2 maybe 3 months go at most. ...

Alternator problem?

I have a 2002 WRX and replaced the alternator in the car about 2 maybe 3 months go at most. Well driving home from work a few days ago I noticed the voltage being put out well idling and at highway speeds would jump from 14.4 all the way down to 11.5 volts. When ever the volts dropped to around 12.2 volts the battery light and the brake light would come on, along with the dash and head light dimming some. After a few seconds the battery and brake light would go out and the dash and headlight would come back to full. I replaced the battery in the car this past weekend thinking it might have had a cell going bad in it. But the problem started back up again half way to work I have also noticed a squeaking sound coming from near the alternator every time the lights would start to flicker. Could this be a sigh of the alternator going bad or some other problem?

How I was able to see the voltage well driving is a function from aftermarket stereo/GPS navigation system. One of its displays shows the voltage when the car is running.

Thanks for any help or advice you guys can give in solving the problem I am having.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

FIRST..Check the tension and condition of your alternator drive belt...that would def. explain your squeaking noise and your charging problem...

checked both belts and they seam to bet good I was thinking the same thing at first but the sound really seams to be coming directly from the alternator. I am going to bring it down to Autozone. In a little when they open to have the alternator tested. Really hope its not the alternator and something really cheap or easy like a loose wire I am just not seeing. I just got the alternator and installed it not to long ago.

Did you get the alternator from Autozone? If you did then it should easily still be under warranty with them. In recent times I have had issues with the quality of the rebuilds from there. Make sure you check the condition of the all the wiring involved, including the battery connections, quick way to kill an alternator is to have nasty connections.

Look at the bright side, at least they are on top and not very difficult to get to. I have seen alternators located in very bad places before.

I called autozone when they opened to make sure they had the testing equipment to check the alternator and they did but it was not working at this time. So I took the car to the dealership service station to have to have then test it. The alternator failed all there test they put it under when ideling and with the RPM's at 3k+ there was no voltage coming off the alternator. I am going to have then replace it with an alternator from Subaru. They are ordering the part and will change it tomorrow.

I did find out what the noise I was hearing that sounded like it was coming from the alternator. I do not remember what the service guy called it but its the part of the alternator that converts the AC to DC current. When that part with no moving parts starts going bad it will make what sounds like a squicking noise.

Quote Originally Posted by dagswrx View Post
    I called autozone when they opened to make sure they had the testing equipment to check the alternator and they did but it was not working at this time. So I took the car to the dealership service station to have to have then test it. The alternator failed all there test they put it under when ideling and with the RPM's at 3k+ there was no voltage coming off the alternator. I am going to have then replace it with an alternator from Subaru. They are ordering the part and will change it tomorrow.

I did find out what the noise I was hearing that sounded like it was coming from the alternator. I do not remember what the service guy called it but its the part of the alternator that converts the AC to DC current. When that part with no moving parts starts going bad it will make what sounds like a squicking noise.
    rectifier bridge...which contains i believe 3 diodes...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    rectifier bridge...which contains i believe 3 diodes...
    Ya I think that was what he called it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.