Fuel Filter

This is a discussion on Fuel Filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How hard is to change the fuel filter on these cars? My car has 139,xxx on it and just want ...

Fuel Filter

How hard is to change the fuel filter on these cars? My car has 139,xxx on it and just want to get it changed. Let me know
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It looks by your profile that you have an 02 WRX...the fuel filter is extremely easy to change...its bolted to a bracket on the drivers side strut tower...you will see the fuel lines going to it...many people say relieve the fuel pressure first...personally i just wait about 20 min after the car is shut off (so fuel psi kind of drops off) open the gas cap and just undo the lines..make sure you put the filter in the correct direction (it should be marked on it)..I know around 05 Subaru started making the fuel filter part of the fuel pump assembley so obviously the only way to change that is to pull out the FP...This job can easily be done in about 15 minutes...

It's easy, just be prepared to wrestle with the hoses as they can be hard to take off.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

sweet thanks for the help
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    It looks by your profile that you have an 02 WRX...the fuel filter is extremely easy to change...its bolted to a bracket on the drivers side strut tower...you will see the fuel lines going to it...many people say relieve the fuel pressure first...personally i just wait about 20 min after the car is shut off (so fuel psi kind of drops off) open the gas cap and just undo the lines..make sure you put the filter in the correct direction (it should be marked on it)..I know around 05 Subaru started making the fuel filter part of the fuel pump assembley so obviously the only way to change that is to pull out the FP...This job can easily be done in about 15 minutes...

BUMPBUMP. You are correct, I have a 05 wrx, and was furious when it was not sitting right there in plain view. (had 04 a few years back). I want to still change the fuel filter, went to buy one at autozone and nothing comeup/in stock so they said just do it when the fuel pump needs work.

I am going to try and look up any information about it, and could you please respond.

I Support ClubWRX
    As it is an infrequently replaced part. IMO it might be best to go OEM rather than an Autozone special.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    As it is an infrequently replaced part. IMO it might be best to go OEM rather than an Autozone special.
    I think I got a bosh fuel filter last time, I am all about getting the best parts/oil/stuff, maybe I will watch my miles and swing by subaru and grab one.

Anybody have any luck replacing it, I think I may give it a shot next weekend!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VampAro69 View Post
    I think I got a bosh fuel filter last time, I am all about getting the best parts/oil/stuff, maybe I will watch my miles and swing by subaru and grab one.

Anybody have any luck replacing it, I think I may give it a shot next weekend!
    It is quite easy.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks guys, I am very mechanically inclined, have access to a free lift and my dad is Mcgiver

I just need to get off my lazy butt and get at it, I will see if my local subaru has the part for me, I have a feeling the last owners did not change it.

Thanks for the imput.