Blown stock turbo, not sure how/why it happened.

This is a discussion on Blown stock turbo, not sure how/why it happened. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A little background here just to get things started. I was driving back on the highway last Wednesday when I ...

Blown stock turbo, not sure how/why it happened.

A little background here just to get things started.

I was driving back on the highway last Wednesday when I noticed that the 06 wrx was only hitting about 5psi of boost max. When I got home I did some test runs and it was happening in all gears. It would hit 5psi and hesitate to accelerate, no CELs or anything like that. I checked the boost lines and I checked the waste gate, both of those seemed fine as far as I could tell.

I took it into the local dealership today and they just called back. They said they found metal flakes in the turbo and that it is completely shot. Thankfully it will be replaced under the power train warranty, but they can't provide any feedback as to why it happened. Is this something that just happens, or is there a larger problem that is going unfixed? They only "mods" I've got are a boost gauge and a SPT intake otherwise I'm stock.

Thank for any help/insight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tek-Fox View Post
    A little background here just to get things started.

I was driving back on the highway last Wednesday when I noticed that the 06 wrx was only hitting about 5psi of boost max. When I got home I did some test runs and it was happening in all gears. It would hit 5psi and hesitate to accelerate, no CELs or anything like that. I checked the boost lines and I checked the waste gate, both of those seemed fine as far as I could tell.

I took it into the local dealership today and they just called back. They said they found metal flakes in the turbo and that it is completely shot. Thankfully it will be replaced under the power train warranty, but they can't provide any feedback as to why it happened. Is this something that just happens, or is there a larger problem that is going unfixed? They only "mods" I've got are a boost gauge and a SPT intake otherwise I'm stock.

Thank for any help/insight.
    Sounds like your uppipe cat maybe got loose and went into the turbo. I would look at an aftermarket UP when you replace the turbo.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Sounds like your uppipe cat maybe got loose and went into the turbo. I would look at an aftermarket UP when you replace the turbo.
    Tek-Fox has a 06 WRX, so there is no uppipe cat.

Edit : If there are metal flakes in the turbo it's likely caused by the compressor wheel hitting the housing.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 04-20-2009 at 10:37 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Carefully read the owner's manual with respect to the emissions warranty applicable in your state. The part may be covered.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Carefully read the owner's manual with respect to the emissions warranty applicable in your state. The part may be covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tek-Fox View Post
    Thankfully it will be replaced under the power train warranty

I still can't think of another place where the metal flakes might have come from. Unless your intake is using a crappy chrome plated plastic filter, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post

I still can't think of another place where the metal flakes might have come from. Unless your intake is using a crappy chrome plated plastic filter, hehe.
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like its somewhat of an abnormal issue, should I just chalk it up to bad luck on my part and hopes that it doesn't happen on the next time around?

Either way, after all the horror stories I hear about Subaru and their warranties, I'm glad it took 0 effort on my part to get it covered.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty sure there is a TSB for the 06-07 WRX's for the filter screen in the oil feed line causing turbo damage.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Pretty sure there is a TSB for the 06-07 WRX's for the filter screen in the oil feed line causing turbo damage.
    Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus

IMPORTANT:filters in banjo bolts - NASIOC

Here's the DIY for it.
    http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/tsb...0301#post20301

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Tek-Fox has a 06 WRX, so there is no uppipe cat.

Edit : If there are metal flakes in the turbo it's likely caused by the compressor wheel hitting the housing.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    That sounds like its the culprit, or at least plausible enough to give me peace of mind

Thanks for all the help!