Leaking Coolant / Fluid - PLEASE HELP
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Leaking Coolant / Fluid - PLEASE HELP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just purchased my first impreza 2 days ago, a 1998 sti version 5 type-r. When got home and parked it ...

Leaking Coolant / Fluid - PLEASE HELP

Just purchased my first impreza 2 days ago, a 1998 sti version 5 type-r.

When got home and parked it up I noticed it was dripping coolant/water. But I had driven in 50miles and no problem.

It seems now that it does not do it all the time, just sometimes. But drives fine and the temperature/thermostat is bang where it should be.

On close inspection the dropping is coming from the front left of the engine (thought originally was intercooler water) where there is a black round cylinder next to the radiator, I still cannot see where exactly the leak is coming from as itís inconsistent.

From this black round cylinder there is a hose that is about 5Ē long thatís not connected to anything, is this an overflow??? And theres nothing to worry about??

Any help I would be very very grateful

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

think the leak is coming from the bottom left of the radiator as you look at it, not 100% though. but all that area is very wet.

where the radiator mounts, you can see through the front bumper is wet on the mount, then very wet as i look from underneath. but can see splash marks quite far up the engine bay.

doing my head in, my first impreza and only had it a few days

ALSO, how should i top up the coolant? just simply fill up the bottle behind the passenger headlight to the `F` ?? sorry for being a dumbass!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can post pictures that would be helpful. Keep it topped off as you described. Also, avoid "driver" and "passenger" descriptions as these vary geographically; my car is reversed, for example.

From your description I can't tell what the black round object might be. Pics would help a lot. I'd keep the car parked until you sort it out.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

here is a picture of engine

still using car at the moment, as need for work. but engine temperature goes to normal and stays there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27032009065.jpg  

Its a process of illumination unfortunately, that's if you do not feel like taking it to the dealer to have it checked out.

First thing I to do is familiarize yourself with the way the cooling system works.

1. make sure all the pipes are connected correctly (i think this might be it, seen it happen to a friend before)

2. It might be overfull of coolant, so make sure its at the correct level in the filler bottle (tip - NEVER open the heater tank cap when the car has been driven or idling, if you do the water blows out and air goes in... you will spend weeks trying to get all the bubbles out!)

3. very important and you need to have this checked very soon upon purchasing the car, get the car tested for blown head gasket. Its a chemical tester they put on the heater tank nek to see if there is any co2 in the coolant.

Where you from and where did you buy the car off?
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

im in sheffield, bought the car from leicester

how do i top up the coolant???

simply pour coolant into the thin bottle with the yellow cap behind the headlight, to the`F` ???

just getting told to top up the header tank? but how do you know when it is full as it is alloy?

sorry again for being a dumbass!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shades-sti View Post
    From this black round cylinder there is a hose that is about 5Ē long thatís not connected to anything, is this an overflow??? And theres nothing to worry about??
    Dude ignore my last post this is where the problem lies. Ok dont ignore it because its good advise for future reference...ghehe!

This hose you see needs to go into the filler tank this hose comes from your heater tank and when the car is at a certain temp (cant remember now think its 85c) the heater tank cap opens up and pushes some water out that goes through the over flow pipe and into the filler tank... as the car cools down it needs that water and retracts it. so if its not over heating now its going to suck air and do overheat!
    Member #0135

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27032009065 copy.jpg  
    Member #0135

im in sheffield, bought the car from leicester

how do i top up the coolant???

simply pour coolant into the thin bottle with the yellow cap behind the headlight, to the`F` ???
    Correct!

just getting told to top up the header tank? but how do you know when it is full as it is alloy?
    Open it when the car is cold, peek inside if it needs coolant you may put some in! Your will prob never have to open it!

sorry again for being a dumbass!
    I didnt ask and blew a head gasket on my 02 sti, still paying for it!

thanks
    Member #0135

thanks will check that hose

so the header tanks needs to be full to the brim?

and then top up the coolant at the thin bottle with yellow cap to the `F` mark???

is this correct?

thanks tarmacsti.

very much appreciated

thanks will check that hose
    Just follow the hoses coming out of the heater tank, one at the back goes to the turbo, other two goes to the front of the car one stops at the radiator and the other should be the lose one you talking about that needs to go to the filler bottle...

so the header tanks needs to be full to the brim?
    Yes

and then top up the coolant at the thin bottle with yellow cap to the `F` mark???
    yes

is this correct?
    yes

another tip... and this is after you sorted out the leak... keep in mind that you need the right combination of water and antifreeze in your cooling-system(of your car)
    Last edited by tarmacsti; 04-16-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    Member #0135

Thanks for all the help tarmacsti, all sorted now. been playing with it for the lasy hour and it was a disconnected hose from black round cylinder next to the radiator.

reconnected it with a jubilee clip and topped up the coolant, been for a run. seems ok

Mark

Glad to have helped, now post some pics!!!
    Member #0135

HELP AGAIN - ITS STILL LEAKING - BADLY

thought i had sorted the problem with a disconnected hose. seems not. got back from work today and it was p*ssing out.

it is defo coming from the left hand side of radiator,

do i need a new rad or can i use something like radweld??

here are some pics, you can see the coolant dripping

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo0120.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.