Intermittent oil smoke - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Intermittent oil smoke within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 5gear BTW, I keep forgetting to ask. This is my first turbo charged boxer, I have had ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 5gear View Post
    BTW, I keep forgetting to ask. This is my first turbo charged boxer, I have had and do have other Subarus, but this is the first turbo charged one. I have had many other turbo charged cars and trucks, 4cyl, 6cyl, v8, etc... This is the first one to have a "flutter" sound to the turbo whistle. I assume this is related to the un-equal length exhaust, unless of course this is an abnormal sound.....
    The unequal length exhaust gives it the sort of rumble from the exhaust. The flutter is probably the wastegate opening and closing rapidly ("wastegate flutter"), which is often a bit noisy on WRXs but not a concern. Do you get it at mid RPM with partial throttle mostly? You can read about how to adjust it (with caution or you will get boost spiking) and you might make it a bit quieter.

Usually it isn't noticed (but is still there) without exhaust modifications. Any chance you have an aftermarket downpipe after the turbo (e.g. without a bunch of heat shielding)?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Car is 100% stock other than someone put a drop in K&N in it. I have found a "smoking gun" of sorts. Looks like somebody may have had a manual boost controller installed at some point and put a plastic connector in place when removing it, which was broken..... So, my wastegate has been unplugged for who knows how long and I bet that did some real nice damage to the turbo life span, which in turn explains further the possibility of shaft seal failure.

The "flutter" sound has not changed at all since fixing the broken line, I have much less power now though It does seem to only be at partial throttle and becomes a steady normal spool sound when further up in RPM's

I swear, my next car will be a new one. I hate trying to figure out what other people have done to/with used cars. Doesn't seem to matter how clean and perfect they are when you test drive the, something always comes out of the woodwork to haunt you. (Sorry, had to vent. Been burnt to many times recently)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.