P0171, bad idle, low power, stuttering
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on P0171, bad idle, low power, stuttering within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, My WRX has had some issues lately. It use to show a misfire cylinder 3 code so I changed ...

Hi,
    My WRX has had some issues lately. It use to show a misfire cylinder 3 code so I changed the spark plugs and seafoamed the intake. Now there is a P0171 - System too lean (Bank 1). It's idling really low (750 rpms), stalling when I push the clutch in, and it feels really low on power. The boost gauge says I'm at the correct psi for stage 2, and it's holding pretty well, but the car feels like it has the same power as it did when it was stock. When I accelerate with about 30% throttle, the car will be fine until about 3000-3400 RPM where it will jerk a few times and lose 50% power, then repeats this from 4000-4250 RPM. I changed my oil yesterday and there were specks of metal. It looked like flake in metallic paint so I'm sending the oil out to be analyzed. I have cleaned the IACV, the MAF, and seafoamed the fuel but nothing has made a difference. Is my engine in bad shape? Could this be a problem with my fuel system? I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is a longshot... but whens the last time you changed out your fuel filter? Also, how many miles are on the car?

I Support ClubWRX
    P0171
    Fuel trim malfunction (A/F too lean)

Your car is supposed to idle at 750rpm at full warm up........
    Sounds like you maybe borked the O2 sensor.How exactly did you do the Seafoam treatment for the intake?Please don't tell me you used the brake booster line.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Replay View Post
    This is a longshot... but whens the last time you changed out your fuel filter? Also, how many miles are on the car?
    I've never changed the fuel filter in the ~40,000 miles that I've owned the car. It has 80,000 now. Could bad injectors be a suspect, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    P0171
    Fuel trim malfunction (A/F too lean)

Your car is supposed to idle at 750rpm at full warm up........
    Sounds like you maybe borked the O2 sensor.How exactly did you do the Seafoam treatment for the intake?Please don't tell me you used the brake booster line.
    I used the vaccuum hose off the BPV. Maybe all the carbon crud fubar'd the O2 sensor? I'm guessing it would be the front sensor (A/F).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RySuby View Post
    I've never changed the fuel filter in the ~40,000 miles that I've owned the car. It has 80,000 now. Could bad injectors be a suspect, too?

I used the vaccuum hose off the BPV. Maybe all the carbon crud fubar'd the O2 sensor? I'm guessing it would be the front sensor (A/F).
    Defiantly change the fuel filter and yep front O2 sensor.You could try and just reset the ECU and see if anything changes.Remove neg battery cable,hold down brake pedal for 1 min and rehook up neg battery cable.This will wipe out all RAM and let the ECU relearn it's fuel trims.Hopefully the DTC will be cleared and the CEL will be off.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Defiantly change the fuel filter and yep front O2 sensor.You could try and just reset the ECU and see if anything changes.Remove neg battery cable,hold down brake pedal for 1 min and rehook up neg battery cable.This will wipe out all RAM and let the ECU relearn it's fuel trims.Hopefully the DTC will be cleared and the CEL will be off.
    Thanks for the help. I'll change the filter ASAP, and find a new O2. I forgot to mention, I have an APv1, and I've reset the ECU only to have the CEL come back.

One more question...
    I'm flashed to stage 2 with the AP but I have an AEM short ram with K&N filter (I know, I know...big shame). An aftermarket intake would definitely be leaning things out, but could it be causing the CEL and my problems?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RySuby View Post
    Thanks for the help. I'll change the filter ASAP, and find a new O2. I forgot to mention, I have an APv1, and I've reset the ECU only to have the CEL come back.

One more question...
    I'm flashed to stage 2 with the AP but I have an AEM short ram with K&N filter (I know, I know...big shame). An aftermarket intake would definitely be leaning things out, but could it be causing the CEL and my problems?
    Potentially. See here:
    P0171 CEL Thread - Everything you ever wanted to know? - NASIOC
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

bringing a thread back from the dead. Did you ever fix your problem? This is exactly what I have going on right now!

I Support ClubWRX
    I had this problem a couple nights ago. When a vacuum line pops off, it causes the idle to run lean. That's what throws the p0171 code. I resecured the vac hose with a hose clamp, and sure as sh1t, the thing runs like a champ again.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    do you have an accessport? Because I can help you diagnose the problem
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    do you have an accessport? Because I can help you diagnose the problem
    So maybe Ill just go crazy with hose clamps on vacuum hoses. What hose popped off on yours? and no accessport.

I Support ClubWRX

The return line to the manifold from the fuel evap solenoid.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.