Weird sound, any ideas?

This is a discussion on Weird sound, any ideas? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I was in a front end accident a few months ago and messed up my car quite a bit. ...

Weird sound, any ideas?

Hey, I was in a front end accident a few months ago and messed up my car quite a bit. I was able to get it fixed but recently I've started to hear/feel something weird. When i am driving normally if i start to accelerate slowly just kind of pressing on the gas slightly for a min or so, there is a odd sound that comes from the engine in front of the driver. It sounds like a release of pressure or just a little "psht" and i feel the car loose a little power, I would guess that it has something to do with the turbo. I first heard this when i was going about 35 with about 3000rpm, then could hear it again going 75, i would happen every few minutes constantly. Any ideas of what I should do or a way to figure out what is going on?
    Thanks

I drive a 02 WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does it happen when the turbo is spooled up? ie you are accelerating and it starts off low and you can hear it get worse as the rpms go up.
    Check your gaskets on the backside the the intercooler (the inlet pipes from the turbo, not to sure what they are called).

kind of sounds like a boost leak to me...

It's not really a gradual thing, theres nothing then just a little "pst", every min or so, Usually around 3k or 3.2k rmp's it might do it higher but I haven't held it higher than that. Is there a easy way to test this or should i take it in? or back to the repair shop and try to make them fix it?

Personally I would take it back to wherever you got the work done...If they said they fixed it...they obviously didnt fix it (well at least fully)...But yes I would def. take it back...

I Support ClubWRX
    It kind of sounds like your AC is just kicking in. Did you just start using it?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

yeah i'll bring it in, its not the AC but the loss of power feels about the same as when you turn the ac on

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    It kind of sounds like your AC is just kicking in. Did you just start using it?
    That was what I was thinking. How about loose BPV? Check all hoses and gaskets on the BPV on the front if the TMIC. If that is not seated and torqued correctly, it can leak.