'05 STI woes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '05 STI woes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I have a '05 STI cobb stage 2. I was driving home today and I had just pulled out ...

'05 STI woes

Hi, I have a '05 STI cobb stage 2. I was driving home today and I had just pulled out of a parking lot and was accelerating. Right as i went to shift for 3rd the engine started decellerating. It wasn't making any wierd noises but when i stepped on the accelerator it wouldn't rev up it basically just wound down until i pulled over and it died as soon as i came to a stop and pushed the clutch in. The dash flickered just a little bit right before it died. I plugged my cobb tuner into it and it is reading no engine codes. I checked all the fuses and relays and nothing abnormal there. It basically felt like it ran out of gas but i still had a quarter tank in it. It won't fire when i turn it over, again no wierd noises or anything it just wont start. If anyone has seen this before or has some tips for where to start my troubleshooting I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Possibly fuel pump failure?

You did say it felt like it ran out of gas...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Yeah, that is going to be the first thing i test. I was thinking about that and it kind of felt like running out of gas except for it didn't sputter at all it just kinda kept losing power. It has 71k miles on it and I haven't had the timing belt replaced so i hope that wasn't it.

Thanks for the reply!

I Support ClubWRX
    were you able to start it?

I hope you didn't tow the car. If I remember right, you have to set the DCCD to 50/50, put the car in neutral, and tow for a VERY short distance. It'd suck to ruin your transmission too!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Always get a flatbed tow don't settle for anything less with a Subaru

I did get a flatbed tow. And no it won't start, just turns over but won't fire. I am hopefully going to get some time with it tomorrow to check on the fuel pump, will let you know how that goes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
    I did get a flatbed tow. And no it won't start, just turns over but won't fire. I am hopefully going to get some time with it tomorrow to check on the fuel pump, will let you know how that goes.
    good luck
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If the fuel pump checks out ok, could it possibly be the relay? I have heard of the relays going out a lot more often then the fuel pump themselves.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Replay View Post
    If the fuel pump checks out ok, could it possibly be the relay? I have heard of the relays going out a lot more often then the fuel pump themselves.
    or the FPR
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Ok, so I go to Shucks and they tell me they don't pull up a part number for a fuel pump relay or a fuel pressure regulator. ? Then I went and checked all my fuses, all good, pulled the timing belt covers off and one was a little looser than the other but they are still on and both turning when i turn the engine over. I pulled one of the hoses off of a fuel line and it is definately spitting out fuel, not sure if it has the right pressure. Anyways, I ended up having to take it to a shop. I will post what the problem/fix is when I find out, if I don't pass out from the bill that is

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
    Ok, so I go to Shucks and they tell me they don't pull up a part number for a fuel pump relay or a fuel pressure regulator. ? Then I went and checked all my fuses, all good, pulled the timing belt covers off and one was a little looser than the other but they are still on and both turning when i turn the engine over. I pulled one of the hoses off of a fuel line and it is definately spitting out fuel, not sure if it has the right pressure. Anyways, I ended up having to take it to a shop. I will post what the problem/fix is when I find out, if I don't pass out from the bill that is
    That's a bummer... good luck
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

It was the fuel pump. Now I am trying to find one, got one laying around let me know

is a flatbed tow recomended for all subarus or just the sti?
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by falkonsti View Post
    is a flatbed tow recomended for all subarus or just the sti?
    Either all 4 wheels need to be on the ground and in neutral, or flatbed tow. No 2 wheel tow. You'll ruin the center diff.

It's recommended that you only flatbed tow, but there are people that tow their wrx/sti behind their RV.

AWD towing?

And this right here is why you leave the ignition on while you tow on the ground. (The steering wheel will lock)
    YouTube - WRX CRASH INTO WIRE POLE BEING TOWED SHORT VER

A STI has to be in the furthest rearward DCCD position, and in neutral with ignition on.

You can't tow an AUTO if I remember right. It has to be on a flatbed.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I had a front lift style tow truck come get my stranded 1998 LGT at 2 AM once. The operator simply asked me if it was AWD, I said yes, and he put dollies under the rear wheels, lifting them off the ground completely. Made sure it was in 1st gear with the parking brake set, and towed it home with no problem at all. So, IMO, flatbed isn't necessary, but dollies aren't recommended for long distance tows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast