Horrible noise
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Horrible noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 04 wrx is making a grinding noise but only when im on the gas no boost loss cluch isnt ...

Question Horrible noise

My 04 wrx is making a grinding noise but only when im on the gas no boost loss cluch isnt slipping i dont know what it is

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Gear specific? How many miles are on the car? Mods? Does it sound like a hardcore grinding like metal to metal? Any other symptoms i.e... do all the accessories work like there supposed to? any power loss? any CEL? etc...

Well 1st has minor powerloss no CEL....mods-utec,perrin up and down pipe,three inch turboback exhaust...... but its only when im on the gas it gets faster with the speed of the car its wicked loud though car has 108000 you really start hearing it around25-30 mph and then its louder and faster from there

kind of sounds like a wheel bearing...
    03 WRX Greddy evo2 catback, HKS downpipe. Helix Up pipe.

is it best described as a grinding noise?....does it happen if your in neutral and just rev the engine? I would be inclinded to think its a wheel bearing however they usually dont make a grinding noise...does it sound like its coming from the engine compartment, trans tunnel, rear end? etc... how about if you get the car up to speed like ohsay 45 mph and throw it in neutral does it still make the sound?

Quote Originally Posted by chpanther69 View Post
    kind of sounds like a wheel bearing...
    +1

Thats the weird thing its only when im in gear on the gas the second i start to get any speed over 25 if i let off the gas it stops it sounds like its comming from the "engine or like right under my feet"
    Last edited by AndrewC24; 04-03-2009 at 06:37 AM.

sounds like it might be a bad pinion bearing in the trans/diff...they have the same symptoms as your describing...so...whenever your on the gas you hear the noise (if its over like 25mph)
    you only hear the noise when your in gear
    the noise is coming from like right under your feet
    bad pinion bearings do make sort of a grinding noise

my bet is you have a bad pinion bearing in the front diff/trans...

I will rule out a wheel bearing because you said you dont hear the noise at all when your in neutral no matter how fast your going....
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 04-03-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Well is there anyway to check with out ripping my car apart and if not do you know around how much cash that would set me back

well unfortunately not really...just make sure the rest of your car is in good shape and nothing else is causing noise....you could try a trans fluid change and see if that helps anything (also you can see if theres any chunks of metal in there)...however when you start hearing that noise the damage is usually already done.....As I said...From the info youve given it sounds EXACTLY like a bad pinion bearing to me...however it is extremely difficult to diag. noises online without hearing them....if it does happen to be a bad front diff. pinion bearing the trans has to come out and get disassembled.. If your not really mechanically inclined I would bring it to your dealer...

Alright well i really appreciateall the subaru insite and im going to get it checked out on tuseday ill let you know what they find thanks

no prob. man...yeah let me know....

so they rescheduled my appointment and then the noise stopped so now my car has no throttle response and throws itself out of gear and grinds a little when i down shift

so just out of the blue with no one touching the car...the noise is gone and now it pops out of gear and grinds...which gear does it pop out of?

Yeah I got in my car and there was no noise and then like I heard a klunk and now I have no pick up like I gas it and it revs up but no power to the wheels and then it will throw itself out of first-third and fifth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast