60,000 Mile Service - Timing Belt?

This is a discussion on 60,000 Mile Service - Timing Belt? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just bought a 2003 with 61,000 miles. It has not had the 60,000 mile service. So I called my closest ...

60,000 Mile Service - Timing Belt?

Just bought a 2003 with 61,000 miles. It has not had the 60,000 mile service. So I called my closest Subaru dealer and the service manager wants to sell me a timing belt replacement as part of the service. Quoting $1000 to do the whole thing and $500 - $575 without belt.

So I ask him why they recommend the belt at 60K when Subaru says 105K? Have you seen failures to lead you to believe this is necessary, I ask? His reply, well IF the belt fails it can cause damage....

So I'm now thinking that changing the belt isn't really necessary but would love to learn what you have been told or experienced. I now thinking of letting my very capable mechanic do this service but want to make sure he won't miss something important.

For example I read on this forum that the dealer will add a supplement to the coolant to help with a known seal problem. Is that something I can buy for my mechanic to add and are there any other things of that nature I need to make my mechanic aware of when I take it to him?

Also, I'm going to need brakes in the near future and will probably have them done then too. My mechanic had suggested ceramic pads to keep the dust down with the open wheels. Is there a brand that you have had good results with and/or are ceramic pads even the way to go? (I did read several of the brake related posts but I can't tell if what is being discussed are ceremic or not.)

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The manufacturer requires timing belt service at 105K miles as you know. The dealer is correct in that if the timing belt breaks the damage would be extensive and expensive. However, the service is not yet required as far as mileage is concerned. What you need to do, though, is check to see if there is a TIME limit on the service in the owner's manual - that is, whether Subaru says 105K miles or XXX months. If there is, and you've passed the time limit, then the timing belt service is required.

All parts required are available, including the coolant conditioner, from the dealer's parts department.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The maintenance interval by months is 105. So I've got a couple of years to go by that measurement as well. If I wait the two years we're probably close to 90K in miles which would seem to be a reasonable compromise over doing it right now.

I'm not opposed to spending the money if it's really necessary but it just seems to be addressing a risk that really doesn't exist. I can't find reports of premature timing belt failures and the service manager certainly didn't indicate that he was seeing a problem either.

I figure if it is a problem it would show up on this forum and I can't find any references to that type of problem. But I also didn't know if folks were replacing it at 60K as standard procedure and hence this post. Thanks for the input on the conditioner being available at the parts counter.
    Last edited by bluesramsrock; 03-30-2009 at 12:06 PM.

hey i got 111k do you know how to check if the timing belt has been changed

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar

60k Maintenance Service

My dealer is trying to charge me $640 for the 60k service. Does anyone know exactly what they do? I obviously passed but I am wondering what options I have while I'm waiting for my oil change...
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

The 60k mile service differs a tad from dealership to dealership...either way mostly all of them include:

Change oil, filter
    Change air filter
    Change fuel filter ( unless 05+ which is part of the FP assembly)
    Change front and rear diff gear oil
    Change trans fluid/gear oil
    Rotate Tires
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace PCV valve
    Cooling system drain and fill
    Inspect exterior lights, brakes, tires, suspension etc etc...
    Exchange Brake Fluid
    At least this details what we do for all our 60k services..

The only real way to check if the t-belt has been changed is service history. If you have the ambition you can remove one of the t-belt covers and inspect the belt for cracks and such.

To the OP..Which 03 model did you purchase? The EJ22 T-belt service interval was 60k miles so maybe thats what the service manager was thinking of..However, obviously they discontiuned the 2.2 in 01.. Also If you purcahsed a DOHC Turbo model I personally wouldnt be to concerned about the coolant conditioner in those cars fore they where never prone to HG leaks like 00-04 SOHC EJ25...however I guess It cant help to be cautious...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    The 60k mile service differs a tad from dealership to dealership...either way mostly all of them include:

Change oil, filter
    Change air filter
    Change fuel filter ( unless 05+ which is part of the FP assembly)
    Change front and rear diff gear oil
    Change trans fluid/gear oil
    Rotate Tires
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace PCV valve
    Cooling system drain and fill
    Inspect exterior lights, brakes, tires, suspension etc etc...
    Exchange Brake Fluid
    At least this details what we do for all our 60k services..

The only real way to check if the t-belt has been changed is service history. If you have the ambition you can remove one of the t-belt covers and inspect the belt for cracks and such.

To the OP..Which 03 model did you purchase? The EJ22 T-belt service interval was 60k miles so maybe thats what the service manager was thinking of..However, obviously they discontiuned the 2.2 in 01.. Also If you purcahsed a DOHC Turbo model I personally wouldnt be to concerned about the coolant conditioner in those cars fore they where never prone to HG leaks like 00-04 SOHC EJ25...however I guess It cant help to be cautious...
    Thanks for the info. Are you at a dealership in the Philadelphia area? If so, perhaps I'll just take it there if it's not too ridiculous. Also, does the PCV valve really need to be replaced?
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Im a tech for Matt Slap Subaru down in Newark DE. The PCV valve should most def. be replaced. Fore lack of replacement can increase the chances the valve gets clogged/sludged up with oil, which than builds higher pressures in the crankcase which can lead to oil seals starting to leak..So Personally I would say its a pretty important item to take care of....Also not trying to like shun work away from where I'm employed or anything..lol..but If your mechanically inclined and have the necessacary place/tools you can perform the 60 yourself..you will save yourself a bundle...I think we charge around 500-600 for it but dont hold me to that...I'm a tech not a service writer..lol
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 09-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Im a tech for Matt Slap Subaru down in Newark DE. The PCV valve should most def. be replaced. Fore lack of replacement can increase the chances the valve gets clogged/sludged up with oil, which than builds higher pressures in the crankcase which can lead to oil seals starting to leak..So Personally I would say its a pretty important item to take care of....Also not trying to like shun work away from where I'm employed or anything..lol..but If your mechanically inclined and have the necessacary place/tools you can perform the 60 yourself..you will save yourself a bundle...I think we charge around 500-600 for it but dont hold me to that...I'm a tech not a service writer..lol
    Yeah, I did the backyard mechanic stuff in college and stupid little things (or parts on order) would leave me w/o a car for too long. I'll probably try and get my uncle's shop to do it if the dealer is outrageous. However, I do like the peace of mind I get with the dealer...but I still don't think that's worth a whopping $640.
    2006 Panty Dropper

I hear ya..I worked at a Sunoco as a service tech a while back and for every service I did there we went straight according to the manufacturers recommendation so I believe you should be fine getting it done at a reg. shop. especially if you mentioned your uncle has a shop.. If you would like any other info. or have any questions I will do my best to help out..