loud knocking noise, jerking drivers side while turning at low speed
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on loud knocking noise, jerking drivers side while turning at low speed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys when i turn tight at low speeds a loud awful knock comes from the drivers side of my ...

loud knocking noise, jerking drivers side while turning at low speed

hey guys when i turn tight at low speeds a loud awful knock comes from the drivers side of my car. I can literally feel the car jerking when this happens.. i just had my front passenger side cv joint replaced today.. i thought that was the problem since it was leaking. any ideas on what it could be?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

axle?

maybe.. i was thinking shocks/struts maybe?

What year vehicle? How many miles?..is it a clicking noise or a knocking noise? was the noise there before you had the work done? did they replace the CV (outer) boot or the DOJ (inner) boot or the whole axle?

It's an 03 Wrx with 103,680 miles on it. The replaced the passengger side front. It sounds like it's coming from drivers rear or mid. It made the noise before the work was done at the dealership. It's more of click I guess. It's hard to explain

this is a 5 speed is it not?...do me a favor...take the car to a large parking lot and do a bunch of tight figure 8's...does the car seem like its binding? I dont want to throw any red flags here but you might have some torque bind...

What do you mean binding? I will go out back of work here in a minute when the other manager gets in and see if I can notice anything.

well...does it kind of feel like the whole car shutters a little when you hear this noise? Is it a 5 spd?

Ya it's a 5 speed. And ya I can feel it when I'm pulling into a paking spot. That is the only time I hear or feel it

so the whole car is kind of shuttering?...If so my best bet from the info youve given is that you have the early stages of torque bind....my recommendation is as soon as you can..change the trans gear oil...if you catch this early a fluid change might help..otherwise your going to have to shell out big money for a new viscous coupler (center diff)....i just replaced one the other day in an 03 BAJA w/ 115k miles...

How hard is it to change out the oil? Is there a front center and rear differential? I have 3 bottles of royal purple gear oil. Will this wok?

I don know if this makes a difference. But the car only does it after I drive it for like 20 miles or so. .

yes that does make sense...same complaint i got from the baja owner....once the clutches in the VC(viscous coupler) get warmed up they cant shear the fluid anymore and they start to bind....this is a more common problem on the old 4eat's...however i also encountered this problem in my 96 Legacy 5 spd....as said i would def. change the trans gear oil ASAP... some of these VC's are around $600 + labor if you dont do it yourself... As for the gear oil change...yes there are essentialy 3 diffs in the car...however the front diff is encorporated in the trans on the 5spds...there should be a large drain plug (either a 21mm or a T70 torx bit) directly behind the engine cradle pull the drain plug and let drain...replace drain plug and fill with gear oil...75w90 will work....usually they take about 3.2 Qts...Where are you located by the way?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 03-25-2009 at 03:38 PM.

I'm in Dallas. I appreciate the input man. I'm gonna take it up to subaru and tell them this and see what they find. Then just do it myself.

no prob...alrighty man...keep me informed...good luck.....Personally im a tech for MS Subaru in Delaware...whatever they find wrong, Ill do my best to walk you through the repair if you need assistance...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.