P0507 - Any suggestions?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on P0507 - Any suggestions? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, My 1997 Impreza just started giving me a P0507 code and is idling really rough now. Any ideas ...

P0507 - Any suggestions?

Hello all,

My 1997 Impreza just started giving me a P0507 code and is idling really rough now.

Any ideas on what I can try to fix/clean myself to correct this problem?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Platinum13; 03-17-2009 at 09:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i believe thats a limp code, failed safe mode, i had this too its idle air control circuit low or some thing, mine was a 1507, but they are the same, when was the last time you replaced your thermostat if you havent in a while i would do that first becuase that is what fixed mine

0507 is Idle RPM too high.

I have a cold air intake on the car. Would that be affecting it at all?

I took it someone to look at it and they mentioned a part connected to the intake manifold. I believe it was on top of the throttle body. There was a small plunger being pushed on by something linked to the throttle.

Sorry I'm not more technical, but I don't know Subaru's too well. I just got this one recently so I'm still trying to figure everything out.

The guy said that could be stuck?

It's kinda weird too, when I start it, it idles like crap... if I drive it like this and give it some gas to get it to go it kinda hangs around at about 2000 rpm before it comes back down to idle speed. Could this be something confusing my computer because it's not working properly?

Does your vehicle have a manual trans?... this is a somewhat common problem with Some of those early foresters,imprezas, and legacies with a manual trans...what happens is your neutral switch which is located on the side of the transmission doesnt relay the correct information to the computer so the computer doesnt know wheather the vehicle is in gear or not so it cannot adjust the idle accordingly...if you have access to a decent scan tool you can monitor the switch while you move the vehicle in and out of gear and make sure the switch changes on and off....Also before you go replacing this switch....It is also common for the IAC valve to get carboned up....remove the hose from your air intake (the one that goes to the IAC) and with the engine running you can spray the valve clean...usually that takes care of it....My bet is either your IAC is carboned up or you need a neutral switch....

I did read about that Neutral Switch... but I have no way of checking it like you said. How hard is it to replace? I couldn't find any parts stores that sold the item either. Probably a dealer item, eh?

I just played around with the throttle body. Cleaned it out pretty thoroughly, and adjusted some of the pieces. The car doesn't seem to idle rough any more but the CEL is still on. Also, it feels like there is a slight hesitation when I give it some gas, and there is a loud bogging noise that sounds like it's coming from the end of my intake.

Scary thing is, I noticed a little bit of moisture coming out of the end of my exhaust pipe. I say scary because from what I've seen that usually means a blown head gasket. (Crap! NO!)

I believe I already cleaned the IAC though. It's the part on the passenger-side of the throttle body correct? When removed the inside is green and held back by a magnet? If so, I did clean that quite thoroughly.

When dealing with a CEL like this. When/how does the light go away? Do I have to reset something or does it automatically go away once the problem is corrected?

Thanks a lot for the help so far though.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can reset it with the tool they used to read the code. Advanced Auto is free.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

or you can take your neg batter cable of and hold the brake for 30 sec, i herd that from some were and it worked idk, but are you sure that every thing is hooked up to the intake like MAF (mass air flow) all hose are hooked up to it, like i said man dont rule out the Thermostat, and all this time i thought it was my IDLE air control valve (IACV) and really it was that.

yes the neutral switch is prob. a dealer only item...or if you feel like taking a risk you can go to the you pull it yard...they are very simple to replace they are right on the side of the trans...yes the IAC is on the P/S...it does sound from your description that you cleaned that...a gummed up throttle plate will def. throw this code so you where on the right lines of thinking when you cleaned er up....If you feel real savy about clearing the code yourself and you have a few extra bucks you could pick up a cheap code reader from harbor freight for like $40.00...so that way next time you get a CEL you wont have to take it somewhere...I had a complaint like this the other day on i believe an 02 Legacy....car was stalling, CEL was on...Sure enough a decent throttle body service took care of that....

Well, I'm probably going to try picking up a neutral switch this weekend. There's also a Subaru shop in town here so I might take it by there really quick too.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

I'll come back and post some more once I get some more work finished.

EDIT: Was also wondering... Can I use the K&N Air Filter cleaner/oil kit on the filter on my Injen?
    Last edited by Platinum13; 03-17-2009 at 09:50 AM.

most of the oils for those filters are the same so personally im going to say yes....however when you oil those filters sometimes the oil has a tendency to track down the intake a little bit and butter up the MAF sensor...just mentioning it...so i take it your throttle body service and the cleaning of the IAC didnt solve your problem? I was also curious as to how many miles are on this car? ah here we are...if you dont happen to find one in town... http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_part...hp?partid=5819

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    most of the oils for those filters are the same so personally im going to say yes....however when you oil those filters sometimes the oil has a tendency to track down the intake a little bit and butter up the MAF sensor...just mentioning it...so i take it your throttle body service and the cleaning of the IAC didnt solve your problem? I was also curious as to how many miles are on this car? ah here we are...if you dont happen to find one in town... http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_part...hp?partid=5819
    Yeah, I think cleaning the MAF is a good idea at this point.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Yeah, my cleaning of the previous parts bettered the problem but didn't fix it outright.

I just went out and bought the MAF Cleaner, K&N re-charge kit and have a Neutral Safety Switch on order.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

good luck...if i remember correctly the neutral switch is either a 19 or 22mm...

Well, I just cleaned several tubes, cleaned my PCV Valve (right?), cleaned my MAF, cleaned and oiled my air filter...

None of it really helped my issue.

I DID, however; notice a couple odd things this time around that I missed before. When I initially start my car it idles at about 2000rpm (maybe a little lower.) In about 10-15 seconds after starting the car it QUICKLY drops down to about 1000rpm. This is not a gradual effect, it drops pretty much instantly.

The second thing, that I've never seen another car do, is this: With the car parked and idling (in neutral,) if I press the brake and release it my idle RPM's go UP.

I did this about 5 times in a row and each time the RPM's would go up slightly.

Could this be a symptom of that Neutral Safety Switch?

The PCV valve should be sticking right out the kind of the top of the intake manifold on an angle...sort of right above your IAC valve....How much do your engine RPM's increase when you step on the brake?...did you get a chance to clear the CEL and see if it comes back? Personally i have never seen the neutral swtich cause this problem...however it could be tied into your idle problem...I would replace the switch and see what happens...As for your idle kind of surging up to almost 2k than dropping down to kind of normal idle range....almost every subaru i have seen does this..It happens alot in colder weather because obviously you have a cold idle RPM and a "hot" normal idle RPM...the higher of the two being the colder...i know on my WRX I have the idle set to 1600 RPM at 32F and at operating temp its down to around 900 RPM....as to what your experiencing..as said my 96 Legacy does this and pretty much every other 2nd gen. subaru ive seen...so i wouldnt be to concerned about that...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 03-18-2009 at 04:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.