P0507 - Any suggestions? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on P0507 - Any suggestions? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In the 5 times that I pressed the brake it probably went up about 500rpm. It was at 900 when ...

In the 5 times that I pressed the brake it probably went up about 500rpm. It was at 900 when I started, and was at around 1500 when I stopped.

Also... I tried resetting the ECU... didn't work.

Disconnect negative cable and hold in the brake for about 30 seconds, right? I did this and the CEL was on as soon as I started the car. Am I doing it wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum13 View Post
    In the 5 times that I pressed the brake it probably went up about 500rpm. It was at 900 when I started, and was at around 1500 when I stopped.

Also... I tried resetting the ECU... didn't work.

Disconnect negative cable and hold in the brake for about 30 seconds, right? I did this and the CEL was on as soon as I started the car. Am I doing it wrong?
    The brake/rpm thing is odd.

Try a couple of minutes on the brakes to reset.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I had no idea you could reset the ECU like that on the older models..I know the newer ones you can....Another thing came to mind...you have checked all vaccum lines for proper attachment and condition?

Can someone give me some reliable information as to where this Neutral Safety Switch is and how to replace it?

I can't find it and can't find anything online about how to change it either.

look down by your transmission on the P/S...Where the bell housing of the trans meets the engine...you will see a brown connector and a grey connector...for the life of me i cant remember which color is which but one of them is the connector for the neutral switch the other for the reverse lights....the new one (if you got it from the dealer) should have the colored connector (either grey or brown)...anyways unhook whichever connector it is and just follow the wire down to the switch...the switch itself is located on the D/S of the transmission about half way down the side of it...you will prob. have to get the front of the vehicle on jackstands and crawl under there a little bit....but by looking at the new one you should be able to just know the color of the connector, look on the car it will be the same color...it is a two wire switch....Oh and when you undo it from the trans dont worry..no fluid should come out...its up high enough on the trans that fluid level shouldnt be a problem...

Well,

That's not good, because the thing I got from the parts store doesn't have a connector attached to it.

Ya think they just sold me the part that bolts into the transmission and not the wire as well?

Plus, looks like I have to jack the car up to get to it, eh? Sucks... because I don't own a jack, lol.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Never crawl under your car on just a jack.

Rhino ramps are cheap and perfect for stuff like this.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

This is a 5 speed manual correct?...I am almost 100% sure that short of a dealership and a junkyard you cant get this part anywhere.... http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_part...hp?partid=5819 this is the part im talking about....if you go to the dealership and give them the part number this website shows..that is a subaru part number...they should be able to pull it right up for you....I think its next to impossible to seperate the wires from the switch so i doubt the parts store gave you the correct part..

So far:

Returned incorrect part.
    Ordered correct part (thanks to a guy who knew what he was doing.)
    Bought some ramps.

Now I just gotta wait till about Thursday for the part.

I do have a question though. When I fix this piece, will the CEL automatically go away or is there anything I need to AFTER replacing?

Hopefully this will fix your problem....as said, advance auto and some other auto parts stores read codes for free...so you could always stop by and have them clear the code..or pop into harbor freight or even sears and pick up a cheap scanner ($40) that way you can clear the code yourself and have the scanner for future ECU codes...or as people say the Check Engine Light....

Ok, here's where I stand now.

I got the part from the store and it looked fine.

The plug on the end of it was GREY... so I took off the piece I thought was right and the plug didn't match up. So I switched them back out.

The brown one doesnt connect to the grey plug.

Did they give me the right switch?

Also, when I took out the pieces I lost quite a bit of transmission fluid. When I got everything back together I started the car and it wouldn't come out of gear so I could move it off the ramps.

So,

1. Did they give me the wrong switch?
    2. Do I just need to put in more trans fluid?
    3. WHERE do I add trans fluid?

I believe the connector should be brown..2 wire sensor...for the life of me..i tried to find a picture of it online and i couldnt find anything...this is a manual trans correct?

Yes, this is a manual transmission.

From what I could find online, I thought it was brown too. The reverse/backup light one was grey. I hoped maybe they were wrong but...

Well, I replaced the grey one with the new part I had (and reset the ECU) and the car drove perfectly fine for about a day then it threw the code again. As soon as it did I pulled over and checked the engine bay. My intake was hot (is that normal?) and the plunger from the IAV was pushed all the way out.

The car barely made it home. Goin' like 35mph all the way.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure I got the wrong part.

When I replaced the part I also lost a lot of transmission fluid, unlike one of the previous postings had said, I believe.

This is getting really frustrating and I'm running out of money.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it... isn't that a BAD thing for the air intake to be getting that hot? Why would it be doing that?
    Last edited by Platinum13; 03-30-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Adding a question.

It all depends how far you jacked the car up...that is prob. why i didnt loose any trans fluid when i replaced mine...Also you took out the wrong sensor which is i believe lower on the trans than the neutral switch....Install the correct part and well see where that brings us...

That thing is a real pain in the ass to get in there.

I took it out to begin with... thinking I had the right part; took me quite a while to get it to go back in. My hand hurt for a while afterwards, lol.

I'll see what I can do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast