Black oil 20 miles after oil change?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Black oil 20 miles after oil change? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; '08 WRX with 8000 miles. I just got my 3rd oil change done at the Valvoline place I always go ...

Black oil 20 miles after oil change?

'08 WRX with 8000 miles.
    I just got my 3rd oil change done at the Valvoline place I always go to. 5w30 and I was right at the 3000 mile mark since my last one. Drove home about 20 miles, let it cool down some and then I used a 1/4 hose and siphoned out 1/2 a quart through the dipstick tube so I could put in some slick 50* and I was astonished at how black the oil was.
    Maybe I was siphoning off the bottom of the pan? So I blew bubbles until the tube was just out of the oil and then lowered it 1 inch and started siphoning again. Still pitch black.
    It was clean looking, just really really dark, almost like that el-cheapo recycled oil you can by at some gas stations.

I saved the oil and took it back to the Valvoline place to show the guys and they went out of their way to assure me that they do not use recycled oil and they changed my oil again at no cost. They said it got black due to the turbo. But 20 miles? I didn't get on it either, just drove normal.

Anyone know if the WRX turbo turn oil dark that fast?

I'm going to take some out again tonight and finish off the bottle of slick 50.

*Slick 50 is snake oil!... yes yes I know, BUT it has been super cold here (single digits) and every once in awhile if the car has been sitting outside in the cold, the turbo makes a loud whining sound just for a second when I first start it. My hope is the slick 50 might help reduce that. I know it help cold starting in other 4 cylinder engines I've had.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It takes time to turn the oil black. After 20 miles the oil should be the same color it was coming out of the bottle.
    Something seems fishy.

Here are a couple of questions - After they changed it the second time, did it turn black again after 20 miles? Did you actually watch them change the oil the first time?

If not, I'd say that they screwed you the first time and didn't actually change the oil at all, which, of course, only further validates my decision of always doing my own oil changes. I know what comes out and I know what goes in; never a question in my mind of whether or not it was done right.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    Here are a couple of questions - After they changed it the second time, did it turn black again after 20 miles? Did you actually watch them change the oil the first time?
    This is the first time I've actually pulled oil out after an oil change. The oil on the stick didn't really look black, too thin. But in my jar, 2" dia with only 1/4" of oil drained out it certainly was black.

I've been going to these same guys for 3 years now and the only problem I've ever noticed was a lost air valve cap one time. I watch everything they are doing (minus underneath), many times I'll get out talk with the guys while they are under the hood. The only thing I don't see is what actually comes out of their oil guns... which is why I ran back up there. My first thought was they goofed up (or not) and put recycled oil in, which today they bent over backwards to defend, although they were forewarned because I had called them on Friday (the day after I discovered this) and asked if they ever used recycled oil. They said no. But if they did, they had plenty of time to fix it because the supervisor shot oil from every gun into white cups today as I watched. He was nervous too. They were expecting me.

In any case, I can't prove anything and I should have nice new oil in the car now.

i'd find a new shop and get another oil change. be sure to change the filter too.
    '08 WRB STi -- Cobb Stage 1

'08 Black Z06

I bet they forgot to change the filter.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

They didn't change anything, It's as simple as that. When I change my oil it's so clean I need to look real close just so I can see it on the dipstick, even after a few hundred miles.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post

If not, I'd say that they screwed you the first time and didn't actually change the oil at all, which, of course, only further validates my decision of always doing my own oil changes. I know what comes out and I know what goes in; never a question in my mind of whether or not it was done right.
    +1,000,000 i always change my own oil for that exact reason and do all my work myself plus its cheeper.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottSwan View Post
    '08 WRX with 8000 miles.
    I just got my 3rd oil change done at the Valvoline place I always go to. 5w30 and I was right at the 3000 mile mark since my last one. Drove home about 20 miles, let it cool down some and then I used a 1/4 hose and siphoned out 1/2 a quart through the dipstick tube so I could put in some slick 50* and I was astonished at how black the oil was.
    Maybe I was siphoning off the bottom of the pan? So I blew bubbles until the tube was just out of the oil and then lowered it 1 inch and started siphoning again. Still pitch black.
    It was clean looking, just really really dark, almost like that el-cheapo recycled oil you can by at some gas stations.

I saved the oil and took it back to the Valvoline place to show the guys and they went out of their way to assure me that they do not use recycled oil and they changed my oil again at no cost. They said it got black due to the turbo. But 20 miles? I didn't get on it either, just drove normal.

Anyone know if the WRX turbo turn oil dark that fast?

I'm going to take some out again tonight and finish off the bottle of slick 50.

*Slick 50 is snake oil!... yes yes I know, BUT it has been super cold here (single digits) and every once in awhile if the car has been sitting outside in the cold, the turbo makes a loud whining sound just for a second when I first start it. My hope is the slick 50 might help reduce that. I know it help cold starting in other 4 cylinder engines I've had.
    Bro...you gotta change your own oil! The only time I would not change my oil is like, if I won the lottery and bought myself a brand new BMW M3 or something, and then I'd take it to the dealer to have it done.
    Did you buy yours new at a dealer? You should take it to them for oil changes if you can't roll up your sleeves every few months and do it yourself.

Otherwise, there is something wrong and Subaru should fix it under warranty...but you'll need to be able to document that you changed the oil at the required intervals with the correct oil, etc. Keep all receipts! Don't ask me how I had to find out the hard way...

Well the Valvoline place is off the hook. I drained a 1/2 qt out when I got home again and it's pretty dark. Not as dark, but still a deep brown, way darker than new oil. Something is cooking it.

So could it be....
    a. The turbo like the guys said? i.e. Normal.
    b. Something wrong?

I haven't noticed any problems with the car aside from some clutch smell due to not knowing the incline assist had engaged yet again...
    It doesn't burn any oil.

I always used to change my own oil, but now it's simply not practical. Here's why:
    1) Valvoline place costs $29 and I'm out the door in 15 minutes. I check their work often and they do replace the oil filter each time, the drain is always tight, fluids levels are good and they use high quality stuff. I even reluctantly let them replace my wipers once and they worked great for a long time.
    2) Change my own costs $26 for the oil, $5 for the filter. Find someplace warm with a jack and jack stands to get the front end way up in the air so I can remove the shroud. Probably about an hour job. Then I have to get rid of the used oil - pour it into something I can transport and take it to the Valvoline place to dump - $2 in gas and another 20 minutes. Cleanup 10 minutes.
    So $33 and 1.5 hours vs $29 and 15 minutes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottSwan
    I always used to change my own oil, but now it's simply not practical. Here's why:
    1) Valvoline place costs $29 and I'm out the door in 15 minutes. I check their work often and they do replace the oil filter each time, the drain is always tight, fluids levels are good and they use high quality stuff. I even reluctantly let them replace my wipers once and they worked great for a long time.
    2) Change my own costs $26 for the oil, $5 for the filter. Find someplace warm with a jack and jack stands to get the front end way up in the air so I can remove the shroud. Probably about an hour job. Then I have to get rid of the used oil - pour it into something I can transport and take it to the Valvoline place to dump - $2 in gas and another 20 minutes. Cleanup 10 minutes.
    I can't see Valvoline being cheaper unless you are comparing conventional (V) vs synthetic (you) or they're doing you a favor. You don't have to make a special trip to Valvoline to dump the oil. Any place that performs an oil change legally has to accept your oil (at least, that's the case in NY). My container holds something like 12Q so I only have to stop anytime between my 2nd and 3rd oil change, but for you, it may only hold enough for one oil change (this still gives you 3K miles to go by a shop).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottSwan View Post
    Well the Valvoline place is off the hook. I drained a 1/2 qt out when I got home again and it's pretty dark. Not as dark, but still a deep brown, way darker than new oil. Something is cooking it.

So could it be....
    a. The turbo like the guys said? i.e. Normal.
    b. Something wrong?

I haven't noticed any problems with the car aside from some clutch smell due to not knowing the incline assist had engaged yet again...
    It doesn't burn any oil.

$29 for an oil change is cheap dude. You must be using WALMART brand oil lol.

Who buys a WRX and then whines about having to find "someplace warm and a jack to get under it and remove the splash guard, and a container to put the oil in", etc? I'm just letting you know bro, you have a WRX and you're on a forum online where most everyone here seems to do their own mods, much less change their own oil.
    I'm not trying to be rude, but you're probably going to get some flack.

Here's the bottom line bro, your car has 8000 miles, you need to take it to the dealer and have whatever's wrong looked at under warranty!

Why would one do his own oil change to save a few bucks? This is why.

1. To drain your oil properly . The longer it drains the more sludge and build up is removed. ( a few miniutes just dont cut it).

2. You then know everything has been replaced properly. A loose oil filter pisses me off more than anything.

The black oil could be the turbo, but could also be because the new oil was mixing with oil that was not completly removed. My GMC holds 5 quarts and I always add 4 quarts oil to 1 quart Lucas engine oil repair.

Also" if you have issues with the black oil , do an engine flush.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    This kind of thing doesn't surprise me at all.

Those oil-change places will hire anyone off the street.... they don't care. Half the people that I've seen work in those places look like they are in some kind of prison work-release program.

Think about it..... they could care less about your car.... No one does but you.

Change your own oil. I buy my oil at Walmart..... it's the cheapest price on Mobil1 (or whatever you choose to use)... pick up a filter, and bring it home and do it yourself.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    This kind of thing doesn't surprise me at all.

Those oil-change places will hire anyone off the street.... they don't care. Half the people that I've seen work in those places look like they are in some kind of prison work-release program.

Think about it..... they could care less about your car.... No one does but you.

Change your own oil. I buy my oil at Walmart..... it's the cheapest price on Mobil1 (or whatever you choose to use)... pick up a filter, and bring it home and do it yourself.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast