Pulling Airbag/SRS codes 2002 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Pulling Airbag/SRS codes 2002 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I have an 02 WRX and the airbag light intermittently comes on and off.....???? I have pushed together and ...

Pulling Airbag/SRS codes 2002 WRX

Hi I have an 02 WRX and the airbag light intermittently comes on and off.....???? I have pushed together and taped the airbag seat connections etc and still it comes on and off when it wants to! Its definitely a lose connection but I want to know where and its driving me crazy!!

I have searched the forums and can't find any straight answers on how to make the airbag light flash to pull the codes. I have read the manual and I know I need to connect wires under the dash, the problem is which ones and to where!

Any help would be appreciated
    Many Thanks to anyone to help!

Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

...is the light like coming on when you hit a bump,than going off when you hit another bump or something? explain "intermittently it comes on and off"...like how long does it stay on when it comes on? a few drive cycles?...What i have heard of alot is the connectors under the front seats wiggling around a little and throwing the light on and off...you can stick your hand under there and make sure they are both connected tight....

hey, thanks for the reply, the light comes on when i accelerate hard or in bumpy conditions, then it could stay on a couple of days and then go off its strange! I have tightened the srs seat connections and taped them together so its not that.

Do you know what plugs/wires to ground to get the srs into diagnostic mode?

thanx

I could be mistaken but i believe there is a yellow diag. connector under the dash...that you must probe with supplied pins that are taped behind the yellow connector....http://www.subaru-faq.ru/pdf/electrical/srs.pdf ive pulled codes in my 96 Legacy the way they describe in this article...i dont know if the WRX is the same way though....

thanks for the info i will go out to the garage now and do some investigation, I know there are 2 green connectors not sure about the yellow one. I know there are 4 in total that are not connected to anything and the one the manual refers to is a five pin connector? I just don't know where to connect it to??? soooo frustrating!
    2002 WRX

the green ones are the PDI/diag connectors...dont connect them..your CEL will flash/fans will cycle on and off and a bunch of solenoids/realys will be clicking....the 5 pin connector....there should be little metal grounding terminals taped to the harness behind this connector...untape them and use one to ground the proper terminal...again this is how it is in my 96....not sure if the 02 WRx is the same way....
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 02-28-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Hi your 96 instructions are exactly the same as the 02 manual, which is cool, can u elaborate a little more, I can't seem to find the taped connections????

Thanx I really appreciate it
    2002 WRX

well you said there were 4 connectors....rule out the two green ones...is there a yellow or a white one?....right behind the connector on the connector harness there should be a small buldge of tape....which underneath it holds two little grounding probes..undo the tape and see if you see any "small metal probes"
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 02-28-2009 at 05:33 PM.

FOUND THEM!!! they were really tucked out of the way!! also got the codes too! looks as if i have two problems!!!! Thank u so much for your info...u've been a great help!
    2002 WRX

no prob man....what are the codes? also how many miles are on the car?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 02-28-2009 at 06:00 PM.

it gave me codes 41 and 42 which is the side impact harnesses under the front seats!!! I've checked them both and they are both pushed in very tight!! i'm going to reset the srs module hopefully that will do the trick! Damn seats, if it continues i'm just going to disconnected them with resistors to bypass the side impact airbags! I HATE THAT AIRBAG LIGHT LOL
    2002 WRX

I was just thinking about that..the resistor trick....sometimes the wires pull out of the connectors....PITA though...i hear ya....

I'm going to take both front seats out tomorrow morning and sort them out, i'll let ya know how much of a PITA it is, again thanks for ur help
    2002 WRX

yup..have a good night dude...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.