Problems after accident on 1/10/09

This is a discussion on Problems after accident on 1/10/09 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well after 7 weeks of being victimized by a drunk driver (no injuries besides the car thankfully) I finally have ...

Problems after accident on 1/10/09

Well after 7 weeks of being victimized by a drunk driver (no injuries besides the car thankfully) I finally have my car back. I was hit on the front passenger side head on after he ran a turn signal.

I already picked up my car on Thursday, but I have to take it back Wednesday to pick up one of the fog light covers they ordered and so they could repaint my hood which they scratched there even though they were trying to say it was there from before (but I have pics to prove it wasn't).

I have a running list of things for them to address, but I wanted to know if anyone can give me feedback/suggestions as to what may be wrong so that I can explain it to the shop a little bit better.

1. Alignment/Steering wheel - No brainer here, but the steering wheel is not centered when the car is going straight.

2. Brakes - Whenever I am slowing down, or if I brake somewhat abruptly, there is a buzzing or humming noise (hard to explain) coming from the area of impact. Any ideas?

3. Transmission - Once again, when I slow down, especially if I am downshifting or in neutral, I can feel and hear a clunking from the shift knob. Ideas? Bushings related? (I have kartboy front/rear bushings)

4. Suspension - Somewhat related to 3 I guess, but whenever I go over bumps I hear or clunk coming from the rear (sounds the same as in 3 but comes from the rear instead)

5. Buzzer Chirp from keyless entry - It is not disabled becuase I already followed directions from keyfob, so I am thinking either the buzzer went dead or the is a wiring issue since they replaced the wiring harness in the car.

Sorry the the lengthy post, but I rather keep all problems in one post. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1)do a thorough visual of the front end tie rods, rack,ball joints, bushings, control arms, sway bar,etc etc etc....Personally would go over the whole cars suspension with a fine tooth comb....i hope they didnt bend the subframe....
    2) Passanger Side front is the location of the ABS/HCU unit...Ive heard those things buzz before...and if you got hit there...id say look at that first....is your ABS light on?
    3) transmission...def. do a visual inspection first... a shot in the dark from the info you've given...it sounds to me like a motor/trans/rear diff mount or a u-joint
    4) ^

How many miles are on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    1)do a thorough visual of the front end tie rods, rack,ball joints, bushings, control arms, sway bar,etc etc etc....Personally would go over the whole cars suspension with a fine tooth comb....i hope they didnt bend the subframe....
    2) Passanger Side front is the location of the ABS/HCU unit...Ive heard those things buzz before...and if you got hit there...id say look at that first....is your ABS light on?
    3) transmission...def. do a visual inspection first... a shot in the dark from the info you've given...it sounds to me like a motor/trans/rear diff mount or a u-joint
    4) ^

How many miles are on the car?
    Thanks.

When I first went to pick up the car the brake light and ABS light were on so they had to take it back to dealership to clear the lights.

As far as the transmission, what should I take a look at? It definitely feels somewhat like a bearing type feel I guess is how I would explain it, when it clunks and its usually when I come out of gear or am decelerating.

I only have 51,000 on my car and it will be 4 years in April.

Thanks for the reply.

As for your transmission...I would first do a visual of all the motor and transmission mounts including the pitching stopper commonly referred to as the "dog bone" under the center of the intercooler....I would also look at all the drive axle boots/joints and make sure none of them are torn or loose or anything, The u-joints on the driveshaft and the center bearing are also worth taking a look at, as well as the rear diff mounts ( i have heard of clunks coming from the rear diff mounts on these cars when engaging in hard acceleration or downshifting to compression brake)...Personally I would get under there and go over the entire car....especially after being in an accident...but obviously you want to rule out parts which are external before you go ripping the trans/diff...etc...apart....