Chirp Gone after accident...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Chirp Gone after accident... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So after 7 weeks of not having my car, I finally got it back. Its far from what it was ...

Chirp Gone after accident...

So after 7 weeks of not having my car, I finally got it back. Its far from what it was from before the accident and I have to take it to the shop on Wednesday for a whole mess of problems I have already found after just having it one day.

Anyways, long story short they had to replace the entire wiring harness for the whole car (which I think was just from the Subaru dealership) but now the Chirp when you unlock/lock the car is not there. The car is not in valet mode.

Ive searched the forums and see that it can be the piece in front of the radiator, but since they had to replace the entire wiring could it be something else? Either way I am taking it back -to have them check it out, but is there something I can check?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

valet mode?

check your owners manual
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    The chirp is a user-set option. Look on the back of your remote control.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yea you can set if you want the chirp or not, instructions on back of keyless entry.
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

The setting on the key fob doesnt work. I know that you can change it on or off. The lights blink to show that it changes to on or off, however the chirp buzzer doesnt work. Anyone else?

same thing happens to me in my 06 wrx. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Not sure what the problem is.

Same here. It decides to work for a few days, then gives one lowly, sickly chirp and I don't here from it again for a few months.

:shrugs:

I'm sure there is a common sense reason for this, but it's just not important enough to me to spend the time figuring it out.

I think I've seen this discussed before. Something to do with the buzzer thing going bad or in your case maybe getting damaged in the accident. I would check to see if it is getting power then go from there. If needed you can buy a replacement from Subaru or go the cheap route with Radio Shack.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I think I've seen this discussed before. Something to do with the buzzer thing going bad or in your case maybe getting damaged in the accident. I would check to see if it is getting power then go from there. If needed you can buy a replacement from Subaru or go the cheap route with Radio Shack.
    I've read this somewhere also. I think there's shotty wiring / soldering in a lot of these beepers causing this to happen. Mine is hit or miss depending on the day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I remember hearing there was a way to fix it. If I can find it I'll post it.

Edit: Found what I think you're looking for
    Last edited by Ying; 03-03-2010 at 07:06 AM.

As others have mentioned..+1^ prob. 95% of these problems (at least the countless ones that I have seen) are that the vehicle is in "valet mode" or the buzzer is burnt out/blown...I know those "buzzers" can be had new for under $50.00 (of course the shop or insurance should take care of it...lol) If you do decide to inspect the buzzer or whatnot yourself this is what it looks like... http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...p?partid=15161

since the nice weather is finally among us I tried to take a better look as to why my car wasnt beeping. after i found where it was actually located on my car i played with the wires that connect in to the beeper or buzzer whatever. it seemed to work. it was hit and miss. so next will be getting a better look as to what isnt coming in contact with it to make it work. to get mine to actually make a sound i had to twist the wiring and kept unlocking until i finally heard it make a sound.

blah what a pain

Dremel it apart, sodder the connections better, epoxy the sucker back together and it should last years.
    04 wrx wagon D/D
    02 S2K Summer Fun (sold)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.