Mass Air Flow Sensor
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Mass Air Flow Sensor within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 2002 wrx, engine management light has came on and lost all its power, its been into the ...

Mass Air Flow Sensor

i have a 2002 wrx, engine management light has came on and lost all its power, its been into the garage they said it has a number of different faults showing, they said the first port of call is the mass air flow sensor but it could be the butterflies that sit before the injectors aparently, any one got any ideas can the mass air flow sensor be tested/repeared?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cheapest option is to clean the MAF well with an appropriate cleaner, then check for vacuum and boost leaks, check for intake leaks, and go from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok cheers whats the best cleaner electrical cleaner or carb cleaner something along those lines?

I Support ClubWRX
    It's essentially an electronic part. I'd use electric cleaner and avoid carb cleaner, as the solvents used may not be appropriate. If you are in the US, many auto parts stores sell a product designed specifically to clean MAF sensors that leaves no residue and does not contain harsh solvents.

Make sure the air filter is clean, the intake is clean, and that the filter housing is seated correctly too. See here assuming the error code is PO171, but also to get ideas in general:

P0171 CEL Thread - Everything you ever wanted to know? - NASIOC
    also:
    MAF Sensor Maintenance By iMR2
    since the sensor our cars use is very similar to the one shown.

Be careful with the MAF, it is more a piece of electronics than an auto part and is delicate.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Another good test for the MAF sensor is ...With the engine running...take like the butt end of a screwdriver and tap on the sensor housing...if the car stumbles/ runs rough/stalls...you've found your problem...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you need a new one I'm selling one

I Support ClubWRX
    CRC makes a MAF sensor specific cleaner.You need to find out what exactly the codes are.Could be just the test connectors are together.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.