Cold Start Question

This is a discussion on Cold Start Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey all, I'm noticing that when i start my '04 WRX in the cold, it will start to, for lack ...

Cold Start Question

hey all,

I'm noticing that when i start my '04 WRX in the cold, it will start to, for lack of a betetr term, produce a "whine" thats akin to a supercharger whine, simpyl while at idle. I'm thinking it may be the turbo; how fast is it going at idle? I'm also noticing my vacuum is getting much more pronounced (usually its at .5-.75bar at idle; now its 1.0-1.5 bar at idle). Anyone else know whats going on here????

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

humm turbo should not wine at low rpm only becuase turbo in a sence is a pump and is only truned on when there is a pressure in the exhaust system or vacuum, sounds like you have a leak some were is my guess is your cheack engine light on? becarful some times what sounds likea vacuum leak could be something complety different
    Last edited by evoeater1985; 02-10-2009 at 11:45 AM.

During cold starts the engine idles a little higher, than when idling at operating temperature.
    Does it get louder at higher RPM?

Try sticking your head in the engine bay while it's running, and see where the sound is coming from.

Sometimes a belt or a failing system attached to the belts can cause a wining noise (Alternator or AC).

ill check aroudn again, but i'm startign to think AC or som,ething in that general area, hmmmm

yes it does get louder at higher rpm's and also the problem goes away after the first cold start in the morning/first drive, etc. though i am worried that the noise is there at all...
    Last edited by subierex04; 02-10-2009 at 12:09 PM.

belts sounds about right too OR power steering pump check all your fluids too man

see the weird part is that i *just* got a 100k mile tuneup like 2 months ago (also is 5k ago...i drive alot) and all fluids were checked, and everything was said to be fine.....

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    I am thinking its a belt. Might be too tight since you just got your 100k tune up. Check the tension on the belt and make sure there is a little play.
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

During that tune up did they do the Timing belt?

You might be low on oil....... In very cold morning i turn the key twice to get the fuel pump going for more gas.......

yeah they replaced the timing belt...it may be too tight; i havent had the chance to take the time to go in there and pull everything apart and take a look, but i'll do that ASAP. I'm about due for an oil change, so ill check that out too. anythign else it could be? maybe the alternator or something of that sort?

Engine noise

This sounds like the same engine noise I'm getting. SOunds like a belt. When I inspect the accessory belt it seems fine. ( Not sure how much play they should have) But I will post a vid and hopefully sound of the pistons doesn't drown it out when I record it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subierex04 View Post
    yeah they replaced the timing belt...it may be too tight; i havent had the chance to take the time to go in there and pull everything apart and take a look, but i'll do that
    Okay......I'm gonna save you some trouble.The timing belt is self tensioned by an automatic tensioner,as in "non-adjustable".Same kind of tensioner used on serpentine belts.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S