All this oil confusion...

This is a discussion on All this oil confusion... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hate to ask yet another "what oil to use?" question, but I really can't seem to find a consistent ...

QFT

All this oil confusion...

I hate to ask yet another "what oil to use?" question, but I really can't seem to find a consistent answer.

I've been using Mobile 1 5w30 since I bought my 06 WRX used. Now I hear about the banjo bolt filter problem. This forum tells me one type of oil to use... I call the dealership, they all say they use traditional oil in all of thiers (sunoco to be exact... I can't find a good place to buy it). They say that synthetic tends to burn up faster, and therefore can lead to more problems if you let you changes go too long (I'd been letting mine go 7500 miles... apparently 3k is what to do).

I was in dire need of a change, so I just ran up to the jiffy lube and they put traditional Penzoil in. I bought some Castrol GTX 5w30 (a synth blend) but I really don't know if I should use it or not.

Really... what should I be using? I just want to know what I should be putting in my car to avoid blowing it right the hell up. I thought I was being good with M1 5w30... apparently I was mistaken.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    M1 5w30 has led to a lot of spun bearings because it tends to burn up a lot faster than other oils in our cars.

I personally use Castrol GTX. I've had bad luck with full synthetics.
    Last edited by brfatal; 01-31-2009 at 09:30 AM.

QFT
    OK, good... I'm thinking of going with Castrol GTX 5w30 synthetic blend then. Any objections to that?

I have a 2002 WRX with 118k on the clock, and I've been using Mobil 1 5W30 since 10k. I change the oil every 5k miles, and have experienced zero issues. I never lose oil between changes, and the old oil always looks fine when it comes out.

I think its all about consistency.

Good luck,
    -Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

QFT
    Actually, M1 5w30 is fine for your year, but not mine... there's an issue with the 06+ years... a banjo bolt filter can clog up with debris and burnoff crap, starve your engine/turbocharger for oil and lead to engine failure. Synthetics burn off faster than traditional oil in my engine apparently, and this is one reason why Subaru wants us to change at 3000 miles, regardless of conditions or oil. That's why I'm so concerned about getting my oil right... I've switched to Castrol GTX.

If you want to use good oil, get Amsoil.
    If you want to use oil nearly as good as Amsoil, use Penzoil Platinum.

Also, do some reading at bobistheoilguy.com, alot of info on every oil you can think of.

oil....say, how many miles can you get out of a turbo boxer engine anyway?

Seems to me that you can run full synthetics...you just need to keep an eye on your oil level once in awhile, especially if you are going to go 5K or so between changes. All engines will burn a little oil....some more than others. Periodically pulling the dipstick should e part of your routine...do it once a month or so...no big deal.

I am wondering how many miles I'll get out of my engine. Got over 110K now...I have a friend of mine with 128K....he's thinking he'll get 200K out of his. I say he's crazy. No boosted engine will go that many miles without needing a pretty major overhaul. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

QFT
    Well, I've heard that the design of our engines tends to blow head gaskets sooner than most cars, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has to have that kind of major work done. But to be honest, they hold their value so well, and you'll probably get so many miles out of it after an overhaul, it's probably worth several grand to have it done if/when it happens.

In my opinion.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjimmy View Post
    If you want to use good oil, get Amsoil.
    If you want to use oil nearly as good as Amsoil, use Penzoil Platinum.

Also, do some reading at bobistheoilguy.com, alot of info on every oil you can think of.
    Although the seemingly general "oil is oil" thought process proves to be mostly true, I would have to agree that I have loved my AMSOIL like none other. I don't feel like even trying another oil. To each his own, I know, but this is what I have tried:

Royal Purple
    Castrol
    Redline

All 5w-30s and I spun rod bearings and needed a new shortblock with the Royal Purple. The Redline burned up like you wouldn't believe. Tried AMSOIL (it was cheaper too, at $8/qt) and so far a tad over 3000 miles and it still looks fresh and clean. I'm going to change it anyways, because I'm paranoid about it ever since my engine failure(s).

Regarding the banjo bolt, where can I get some confirmation on this being only a 2006+ issue, and not a problem for my 2005?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post

Regarding the banjo bolt, where can I get some confirmation on this being only a 2006+ issue, and not a problem for my 2005?
    It is a TSB.Google search should easily bring it up or check NASIOC's FAQ's
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S