Massive radiator fail, please help... Please?

This is a discussion on Massive radiator fail, please help... Please? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a pretty hooked up 02 WRX and have ran into a problem . Tonight I was driving ...

Massive radiator fail, please help... Please?

I just got a pretty hooked up 02 WRX and have ran into a problem.

Tonight I was driving normal and smelled coolant and POOF - hood scoop turned into a chimney.

There was coolant all over the ground and a fresh coat ALL over the engine bay.

There is still pressure in the system so there doesn't seem to be anything that is about to fall off loose. The car took a lot of water as we tried to cycle it through by pumping the hose on the top of the radiator (woohoo for technical terms).

So if there is anyone that is in the St. Pete, Tampa area that knows the cooling part of these cars or just more than I do.

Or anyone that has some words of wisdom without spending $$$ to maybe test the system it would be SOOO much appreciated.

I'm good with cars in general, I've had DSM's and Civics and an SRT-4 right before this and I have tools and a compressor. But this is my first Suby and I'm a little lost. I would hate to get into it and not know what I'm doing (which I don't, lol)

I can get at least lunch for anyone that can come and help out if possible. I'll be up early.

My name is Chris and I'm in Old Northeast in St. Pete Florida. Help a newb out

Give me a shout in the morning if possible

727-742-8039

or email me @ kitch@me.com

I know it's kind of a tall order considering I am so new to the forums but I would tell everyone how cool you are if you could help me out, lol. Seriously....

-Thanks ahead of time

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you know what broke. If it's the radiator just replace that and the hoses these cars take alot of burping. Once think ur done do it again. It took me about 6-8 times before min was done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
    Do you know what broke. If it's the radiator just replace that and the hoses these cars take alot of burping. Once think ur done do it again. It took me about 6-8 times before min was done.
    I don't, it was about midnight and we were using flashlights so I'm not sure.

I just don't get how there could be coolant EVERYWHERE and not have a hose just blatantly hanging off somewhere. The other thing is the fact that it holds pressure even after the explosion, lol.

Have you had the same issue before? And you mean adding more coolant and pumping it to put more in 6-8 times?

Thanks so much for the response,
    Chris

I'd check it in the morning and go from there a hose with a pin hole will go along way. I had a pin hole before you would of thought I blew my engine with how much smokes check the endtanks on the radiator yes burping the system takes time it's alot easier with two people

The first step diagnosing a leak after fluid goes everywhere is to thoroughly clean the engine bay. Then let everything dry, refill the coolant, and run the can in the driveway including revving it to see if you can get it to happen again and immediately shut off the car and look for coolant.

How many miles have you driven since this happened?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

Quote Originally Posted by STI_KLR View Post
    pwnd by the search that I should have done, lol.

Thanks dude, that is exactly what I needed and in a frenzy couldn't find last night.