sputtering wrx in the rain

This is a discussion on sputtering wrx in the rain within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; first time it happened, the RPMs shot up to close to 2k, then dropped drastically, then went up again. This ...

sputtering wrx in the rain

first time it happened, the RPMs shot up to close to 2k, then dropped drastically, then went up again. This happens fairly regularly, but this time the whole car sputtered and sounded near death. I had the spark plugs replaced.

The car worked fine for a couple of months, before the same thing happened again, this time I had the MAF sensor cleaned. Again this fixed the problem temporarily.

Then today, same thing again, but the engine died after just a second or two instead of staying on and sputtering. It has been wet outside/raining each time this has happened.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

with the vehicle running...take like the butt end of a screwdriver and tap on the MAF sensor...if the engine stumbles or dies...you can try cleaning it again but chances are you will need a new/good used one....Also Do you by chance have any modifications done to your intake?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    with the vehicle running...take like the butt end of a screwdriver and tap on the MAF sensor...if the engine stumbles or dies...you can try cleaning it again but chances are you will need a new/good used one....Also Do you by chance have any modifications done to your intake?
    I have the SPT intake and heat shield, you think that could be part of the problem? That's my only modification.

I Support ClubWRX
    Lot of people with short ram intakes seem to have problems with water saturating the filter somehow.Not in a "hydrolock" kinda manner but usually from water getting in through the hood seam in the front.Generally the water gets sucked into the MAF.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Do any check engine lights come on?
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

Quote Originally Posted by gprwrx View Post
    Do any check engine lights come on?
    nope, no check engine light comes on when this happens

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Lot of people with short ram intakes seem to have problems with water saturating the filter somehow.Not in a "hydrolock" kinda manner but usually from water getting in through the hood seam in the front.Generally the water gets sucked into the MAF.
    any way to keep it dry? or am I going to have to start watching the weather religiously whenever I need to drive

I went out this morning and poured some water on the filter, car started normally.. think maybe it needs time to really soak through it before the problems start?

poured water around the edge where it's likely to drain in from the hood, and it still ran/started fine. only noticeable thing was after i started it, the idle would drop down to about 200, then rise to the normal 700 or so. it's been doing that for a while now, think that could be tied to the problem too?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 1WRX0003 View Post
    I went out this morning and poured some water on the filter
    ...your kidding I hope.Everyone one NASIOC was telling you the same thing I have.This is a common problem.

poured water around the edge where it's likely to drain in from the hood, and it still ran/started fine.
    Okay.........usually when your driving the car at 40mph or so the water is kinda forced in through the cracks,not at idle.I'm sure the idle problem is related to this.
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-09-2009 at 09:43 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    ...your kidding I hope.Everyone one NASIOC was telling you the same thing I have.This is a common problem.

Okay.........usually when your driving the car at 40mph or so the water is kinda forced in through the cracks,not at idle.I'm sure the idle problem is related to this.

All 3 times the car has sputtered/died, it's been on a cold start after a night of rain.

nope, no check engine light comes on when this happens
    Thats weird. Ive had this happen and then my check engine light came on and it turned out that I sucked up some water ( I drove through a flooded road) and it made the MAF go a little crazy but I had to leave my car off for a little bit then everything went away.
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

Fuel filter bad gas. Bad coil low battery ampage