05 wrx surge, no power

This is a discussion on 05 wrx surge, no power within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guys, i have a slight problem with my 05. the only mod is a k&n short ram, and the ...

05 wrx surge, no power

hi guys,
    i have a slight problem with my 05. the only mod is a k&n short ram, and the 3/16 mod - around a month ago the car would surge in third near 4500 to 5+ rpm - like boost spikes, i think as i can hear the wastegate.

then it went away the same day

then today the car did the same, but in all gears and it had no power near and past 5k - i tried to wind it up in 3rd ( near 5k ) then shifted to 4th and it popped from the intake - not a backfire, but a pop and still no power

i i lean into it slow it is ok untill 45-5k

i have heard that the EGT sensor can cause this. no engine light and no codes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Try cleaning the MAF sensor and ditch the 3/16 mod.........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

well tody it drove better but still surged near 45-5k

i changed the oil, cleaned the mass and the k&n - checked for vaccum leaks, also checked the wastegate arm for smooth movement - then i installed a boost gauge - tapped in the fuel pressure reg. vaccum line -

i though we only had 7-8 psi in first and second ? and then 13.5 -14 ? as im getting near 14 psi in all gears ( as far as i can tell i have always - per the way it drives ) - and it will spike over 15 ( my snap-on gauge stops at 15 psi - temp untill i get the piller pod ) i would geuss 16 psi

and for ditching the 3/16 mod - should i put the factory restrictor back in ? or just replace the vaccum line ?

still no codes - im going to pull my plugs tomorrow and check them - they are irridums with less than 10 k on them gap .029

this morning i moved it at the shop after sitting all night - maybe 100' - it was cold, mid 30s

i got a missfire code ( po304 ) - but it wasnt missing - in fact it was idling well for being cold out - i havent pulled the plugs yet, but i did get new factory NGK to replace them,

the car has been running so well i find it hard to swallow the plugs are ****ed up and when it is surging - bucking / no power it is not giving any codes - or flashing