back firing and turbo boost craping its self

This is a discussion on back firing and turbo boost craping its self within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; iv got an 1995 wrx wagon lately its been burnig a lot of oil but thers no evidence no smoke ...

back firing and turbo boost craping its self

iv got an 1995 wrx wagon lately its been burnig a lot of oil but thers no evidence no smoke no leaking it back fires not big just small pops every time i take my foot off the gas ive got adjustable boost it was in the car when i brought it it was running on 17 and for standard that was way to high i turned it down to 10 it was fine and went better but i have thrashed the **** off it is my turbo on its way out or do i need the piston rings replaced

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If it is the turbo you should see oil in the intercooler/hoses between the turbo and the throttle body. A little bit is normal. Good Luck.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thumbs up ok sweet

i took a look at that and its all good iv just remembered that after my last service i was told that my ignition coil packs were starting to cross fire could that be my problem. Its had a good run its done 23hundred thousand i want to up grade to maybe the sti engine but iv got no idea on what numbers or what will fit to do a conversion i no that i have a ej20 turbo but i was talking to this guy at the subi place and he was telling me the ej20 engine was quit weak if you dont be nice to it i want to drop in a good engine with lots of balls and that can take a hell of a thrash what should i do and what to get moneys no problem

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsumas View Post
    i took a look at that and its all good iv just remembered that after my last service i was told that my ignition coil packs were starting to cross fire could that be my problem. Its had a good run its done 23hundred thousand i want to up grade to maybe the sti engine but iv got no idea on what numbers or what will fit to do a conversion i no that i have a ej20 turbo but i was talking to this guy at the subi place and he was telling me the ej20 engine was quit weak if you dont be nice to it i want to drop in a good engine with lots of balls and that can take a hell of a thrash what should i do and what to get moneys no problem

I don't know but the coil packs sound unrelated to the oil issue.

I also have no clue about a conversion as I usually read about them going into NA GCs. Maybe you will have less to do like the crossmember and maybe harness? It seems like any of the wrx motors should do or a Sti maybe with more work to the drivetrain. You need to do a lot of reading don't listen to me. Might want to check these guys out??

Subi Evolution

The ej20 handles 300whp pretty well it seems - your guy may have been referring to the open deck of the ej205 but I think it is pretty stout. The 5 speed is the weak link unless you want extreme HP. An ej25t Sti motor would be very stout (semiclosed) with the 6 speed but probably requires additional driveline modification.

The ej207 was semi closed though.

Ej22t is fully closed and very stout.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb