radiator endtank leak..

This is a discussion on radiator endtank leak.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My radiator had been leaking badly recently. I noticed the top radiator hose had a hole in it, so i ...

radiator endtank leak..

My radiator had been leaking badly recently. I noticed the top radiator hose had a hole in it, so i replaced it with silicone radiator hoses. Thinking the problem was fixed, i took it for a test drive today, only to find my car was still overheating and smoking! I immediately drove back to my house (1/2 mile away) and opened the hood to find a crack in the endtank shooting antifreeze all over my engine bay.

Can i seal this endtank leak somehow, or buy a new endtank? i really don't want to have to buy a whole new radiator. also, i was searching and realized this could be related to a headgasket failure, but how do i know for sure? and if so, what do you think caused it? i recently went to stage 1 before i noticed the smoke, but before that the radiator fluid would never stay in the resevoir, but would stay in the tank with the radiator cap and didn't overheat so i didn't worry about it. please offer some advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Radiator failures are common. Replace the radiator, burp the system, and go from there. I've done this twice; once with an OEM Calsonic unit, and when that failed (90K miles later) with an OEM-style Koyo unit.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

really? replace the entire radiator for the small crack in the endtank? new radiator's look to be 350 and plus paying for the install...how hard is it to install one of these?