coolant temp randomly going higher once every two weeks

This is a discussion on coolant temp randomly going higher once every two weeks within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I have a 2003 wrx with a 100k on it that has a slight problem. About once every ...

coolant temp randomly going higher once every two weeks

Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 wrx with a 100k on it that has a slight problem. About once every two weeks the coolant temp will go from a abit above a quarter to pass half way, near 3 quarters high. It seems like I have plenty of coolant and no leakes. It doesn't happen often but I'd really like to figure this out before it gets worse

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

csm
    thermostat maybe? or bad sensor?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_wrx View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 wrx with a 100k on it that has a slight problem. About once every two weeks the coolant temp will go from a abit above a quarter to pass half way, near 3 quarters high. It seems like I have plenty of coolant and no leakes. It doesn't happen often but I'd really like to figure this out before it gets worse
    Assuming it isn't sucking in an air pocket somewhere like the upper reservour cap, I'd look at the thermostat. You are up for a timing belt replacement anyway - I'd do that get a new water pump etc. when your in there.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Assuming it isn't sucking in an air pocket somewhere like the upper reservour cap, I'd look at the thermostat.
    +1 If you changed the coolant recently you might have an air bubble.Pretty easy to fix.If not your thermostat might be on its way out.You need to fix this asap before you blow a head gasket.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well it just happened again once I parked right before I turned off the car. I opened the hood and found the issue, somewhat. I took a pic but it won't let me upload it because I'm on my blackberry at the moment. Right in front of the coolant res right above the radiatar there a little bit of coolant on the edges, on that entire bar whatever you want to call it. I can't find the source of the leak. Any suggestions?

I Support ClubWRX
    In order of SIMPLICITY:

1. Loose upper radiator hose, manifests only when motor is in motion (torsional movement of motor when driving). Check and/or replace clamp.
    2. Failed upper radiator hose. Replace hose and clamp. Use authentic Subaru hose, correct coolant; aftermarket clamp OK if good quality (I hate Subaru clamps).
    3. Failed radiator, at upper seam. Common failure. Replace radiator, both hoses and all clamps (if being thorough -- if not, just replace radiator. See above for coolant.).
    4. Failed radiator, but as an EFFECT, not a CAUSE. Cause could be high pressure due to obstruction in system. This is to some extent self-diagnosing. If you replace the rad and BURP correctly, and still have issues, suspect obstruction etc. You should be able to see circulation when topping off the new rad as you try and burp the system.

Park the car. Drive no further until it's sorted. Congrats, you are not the designated driver tonight, at least not in the Subaru. Find a reliable, solid designated driver, and happy 2009!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for your help. Also too, not long before this issue appeared it seems like my radiatar fan kicks in a lot, no matter what the coolant temp is. It almost kicks in everytime I stop for a moment after a few minutes od driving. Could this be one whole issue all together?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for your help. Also too, not long before this issue appeared it seems like my radiatar fan kicks in a lot, no matter what the coolant temp is. It almost kicks in everytime I stop for a moment after a few minutes od driving. Could this be one whole issue all together?
    Is your defroster (or AC) on? If so that is probably normal.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Nope, neither

I Support ClubWRX
    Potentially, especially if the coolant temperature (and pressure) is not uniform throughtout the system -- either a leak (a given at this point) or an obstruction (not likely at this point IMO, but keep it in the back of your mind) can cause this; however, so can a fan circuit or sensor issue (even less likely).

I'd fix what's definitely wrong with the rad or hose first, and go from there. Be sure to search for burping the system and use the correct coolant.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.