'08 WRX -Squeal when engaging clutch
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '08 WRX -Squeal when engaging clutch within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a '08 WRX hatch with about 10k miles on the odo. It recently began making a quiet yet ...

Question '08 WRX -Squeal when engaging clutch

I have a '08 WRX hatch with about 10k miles on the odo.
    It recently began making a quiet yet noticeable 2 to 3 second squeal at the catchpoint when shifting into first or second gears.
    It only happens when the engine is cold AND the outside ambient temperature is below 55 Fahrenheit. It stops almost as soon as the temp gauge gets above the "C" mark.
    It sounds a little like a nest of bird chicks on speed.
    It’s clearly coming from the clutch mechanism, or possibly the transmission.
    It occurs for one or two seconds right at the clutch catchpoint; it sometimes persists for another second or so after it's in gear. It only happens in first and second gears.
    My dealership's service department replaced what they felt was a defective throw-out bearing. Nothing else seemed, to them, to be defective or atypically worn.
    But the problem was there again for me the next morning at the first cold start. It seems to be getting progressively louder and longer in duration. Process of elimination: So we know it wasn't a throw-out bearing.
    (Nothing's worn down from poor driving skill, I can assure you: I've shifted carefully with this car from day one. I've never replaced a clutch at under 100k miles on any previous car.)

Any ideas? I'd like to have some insight into what it may be before I let the dealership service department tear anything else apart. I'd primarily like to know if this is something benign I may be able live to with... or whether it indicates a broader problem with further potential complications (which I'm afraid of).
    Last edited by wrx5dr08; 12-29-2008 at 05:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.