2009 WRX first oil/oil filter/air filter change...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX first oil/oil filter/air filter change... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A few comments on my new experience. I followed the user's manual steps, which indicated to drain the oil with ...

2009 WRX first oil/oil filter/air filter change...

A few comments on my new experience.

I followed the user's manual steps, which indicated to drain the oil with the undercover attached. Apparently this is not a good idea. The drain plug is big (17mm socket) and the oil cascades out, so much and fast that if your container has a lower tank and the liquid moves thru smaller holes, it could overflow.

The problem is that some oil splashes inside the cover and wets the heat resistant material on the in-side. I don't know what that is, looks like asbestos or similar, but it turns spongy and fragile when wet.

I suggest the undercover is removed before draining the oil.

I decided to install a K&N Filtercharger and see what to do about the much talked intake resonator. To my surprise the 2009 air box doesn't have a resonator and no connection whatsoever to the inside fender area; the flat scoop is the only air entrance. Maybe this is why I hear a whine so clearly during acceleration; no resonator should bring more turbo sound to the outside.

The scoop connection and entry hole to the box is square and with a downward flow. Found that a bit strange, any comments? The K&N filter fits nicely, although it's a lot thinner than the OEM and the pleat orientation is vertical instead of the OEM's horizontal. Any comments on these details? Is the orientation important?

I took sometime to look at the underside of the car, particularly at the exhaust system. I don't know the exact diameter, but it sure looks like more than 2 inches, and bends are completely smooth, no corrugation. It could be mandrel bent. This exhaust is beautiful, I wouldn't want to mess with it in the near future, although I read that a performance downpipe brings good results.
    Last edited by Julio Bro!; 12-28-2008 at 09:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yup- definitely cover off

no resonator on the 08/09's (WRX anyways)- basically the sme intake as the LGT (you'll see panel filters part #'s are the same)

I wouldn't worry about the pleat direction, the one thing you need to be aware of is the K&N (and any oiled filter) is that oil will eventually find it's way to the maf- you want to insure to once in awhile clean the MAF
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    no air box resonator

yes exhaust resonator (and two cats, but no cat in the uppipe)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    (but no cat in the uppipe)
    YES YES Yes..
    ****PHOTOSHOP SKILLS THAT PAY THE BILLS****

Why does the system needs 2 cats? If performance downpipe eliminates one, is it necessary to compensate?

I Support ClubWRX
    doesn't "need" per se, but to score high on emissions testing it's more effective to have two (heck the 02-05's had 3!)

Wouldn't that mean the car produces more contaminants? The computer isn't affected by using only one?

If removing one, is it necessary to replace the remaining with a bigger one, performance, or something else?

I Support ClubWRX
    yes- emissions will increase when you lose a cat(s)

ecu is fine w/ or w/o cats

if you want every last bit of performance you lose both cats, the down side is your car "stinks"-literally and you would never pass any emission testing

I've always preferred to run w/ one cat (part of that was the autox class I raced in)

some of the better catted downpipes run very close to catless ones- obviously at a higher cost (good quality cats are $)

Hmmm...something to think about when doing mods. Although it should pass emissions with one cat, yes?

I Support ClubWRX
    probably - depends on how stringent the testing is- it varies w/ jurisdiction

3750 miles per change...

Did you check the Subaru notification regarding the mileage for oil change?

I'm very strict in this department, but the dealer is not following suit with warranty oil changes. What's been your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    yes- emissions will increase when you lose a cat(s)

ecu is fine w/ or w/o cats

if you want every last bit of performance you lose both cats, the down side is your car "stinks"-literally and you would never pass any emission testing

I've always preferred to run w/ one cat (part of that was the autox class I raced in)

some of the better catted downpipes run very close to catless ones- obviously at a higher cost (good quality cats are $)
    I would love to eliminate one of my cats. We dont have emissions testing here... So I would most likely keep the one in the DP for the time being. But wouldnt removing a cat throw a code? Wouldnt one get a cat has dropped below spec efficiency bla bla bla... And the resonator is fast fix with jsut a cat back..

As for the silencer in the intake... The 09+ are still mighty quite... I would like to hear mine a little more... I hear more belts then anything... Such a low profile car, even when it comes to sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Bro! View Post
    Did you check the Subaru notification regarding the mileage for oil change?

I'm very strict in this department, but the dealer is not following suit with warranty oil changes. What's been your experience?
    Subaru wants every 3750. I get mine done before 3k
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    ...Subaru wants every 3750. I get mine done before 3k
    That's good to know, so I can work my case here. Does your dealer covers the changes under warranty?

That's good to know, so I can work my case here. Does your dealer covers the changes under warranty?
    Im not sure what you mean... Does the dealer do the oil changes because of warranty? No usually you have to pay for them... Some dealers will offer special discounts like free oil changes the first year or something though..
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Not to threadjack but nice avatar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.