Grinding/slipping noise from front-right area at 4000+ rpm?

This is a discussion on Grinding/slipping noise from front-right area at 4000+ rpm? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, new driver here, recently got my license and an '04 wrx wagon for my first car. Don't know ...

Grinding/slipping noise from front-right area at 4000+ rpm?

Hey guys, new driver here, recently got my license and an '04 wrx wagon for my first car. Don't know much about cars.

When I'm accelerating from a stop in first gear, at about 4500 rpm I get this noise near the front right wheel, that kinda sounds like grinding or slipping. It feels like I'm losing power whenever this happens, and I shift to second gear. But that's not supposed to happen I'm guessing.

Any idea what's wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

M16
    Quote Originally Posted by blakmage View Post
    Hey guys, new driver here, recently got my license and an '04 wrx wagon for my first car. Don't know much about cars.

When I'm accelerating from a stop in first gear, at about 4500 rpm I get this noise near the front right wheel, that kinda sounds like grinding or slipping. It feels like I'm losing power whenever this happens, and I shift to second gear. But that's not supposed to happen I'm guessing.

Any idea what's wrong?
    not a car expert, but I just gonna guess that your foot might be on the clutch....

I get it quite a bit and I'm sure my foot is off the clutch since it's fully engaged by then, but also I usually get it after going uphill for a while.

And the sound I get is kind of like a pulling/kinda screeching, maybe metal on metal or rubber on metal kinda sound, and it vibrates, almost like the sound/vibration of rubbing a damp hand on a balloon (not sure how to describe?) so that there's friction as you slide across..
    Last edited by blakmage; 12-26-2008 at 07:46 PM.

M16
    Quote Originally Posted by blakmage View Post
    I get it quite a bit and I'm sure my foot is off the clutch since it's fully engaged by then, but also I usually get it after going uphill for a while.

And the sound I get is kind of like a pulling/kinda screeching, maybe metal on metal or rubber on metal kinda sound, and it vibrates, almost like the sound/vibration of rubbing a damp hand on a balloon (not sure how to describe?) so that there's friction as you slide across..
    oh I dunno bout that, sounds kinda serious, but I would advise on just starting from 2nd gear.

Well...If you can crawl under there or have access to a lift...i would do a thorough visual/check over of everything....tires,brakes,suspension/steering system,wheel bearings, CV and DOJ joints/boots.etc..etc....also it prob. cant hurt to check your gear oil and tire psi...how many miles are on the car? Are you sure its coming from JUST the right front wheel area?

I don't know enough about cars yet to check most of that stuff. I brought it to the dealer's for my 60k checkup and asked them to check for what the problem is. I'll update for future reference if they find anything

Sounds to me like your clutch is slipping. Get ready for an expensive repair...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

That would be very sad if it were the case, since I only got this car a few months ago..

The guy at the shop said that it might be the center differential adjusting or rattling from an up pipe after I told him I usually get the noise when I'm turning and going uphill at the same time. I'll look at the clutch next time though.

noise

I had the same problem. It's your a/c pump freezing up. I disconnected my belt and no longer have the problem. And gained horse power