Changing thermostat

This is a discussion on Changing thermostat within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can you guys give me some general directions on changing out my thermostat on my 02 wrx? I have the ...

Changing thermostat

Can you guys give me some general directions on changing out my thermostat on my 02 wrx? I have the thermostat but, I am just not sure where it is on the motor.

-mx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bottom front, drivers side, behind elbow that big rad hose goes onto...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Thanks. So, that is on the underside of the motor right? Great. There is ice on the ground and I have a garage full of junk :P

The car just started overheating last night when the temps have gone down outside so I am shooting in the dark with replacing the thermostat.

-mx

I would "burp" the cooling system first and see if that gets the job done as most of the time it's air in the system that seems to be causing over heating...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

+1 to burping the system. If you change your thermostat, if I'm not mistaken you have to remove the timing belt and cover, etc. Might as well change the timing belt while you're at it.

BTW: you do have to remove the Timing belt and the covers...

GL with that!!!
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

It's the water pump that you need to remove the timing belt cover for. The thermostat is just two? bolts on the elbow...

Agreed. You should be able to replace the Thermostate without removing the timing cover. just follow the big rad hose from the Radiator to the block. remove the hose (catch the coolant) and replace the thermostat. A few important items:
    1. proper orientation of the thermostat! If its backwards, it won't work!
    2. Refill the coolant back. A good way is to take off the rad. cap (after repairs are compelete) and fill the rad as high as you can. Then, keeping the cap off, turn on the motor, and wait for it to warm up. when it does, it'll cycle out the coolant, and in with the new. If theres space, fill it up! This also tests to make sure the new thermostat is doing its job!
    3. Don't Start Repairs until car is COMPELETLY cooled down. Its under pressure with 200 degree coolant!
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    It's the water pump that you need to remove the timing belt cover for. The thermostat is just two? bolts on the elbow...
    I was gonna say... removing the timing belt just to get to the thermostat is no few hour gig for your average weekend warrior mechanic... so thank God we don't have to do that