Fuel and coolant leak; both on "top" of the engine

This is a discussion on Fuel and coolant leak; both on "top" of the engine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; '02 WRX Wagon I started smelling fuel in the car about a week ago and it seems to match the ...

Fuel and coolant leak; both on "top" of the engine

'02 WRX Wagon

I started smelling fuel in the car about a week ago and it seems to match the TSB (regarding the rubber hose in cold weather) pretty well. I talked with Subaru and they won't cover the $ of the TSB as the car is out of warranty I do have a question though: the TSB seems to indicate that the leak is caused by a rubber hose that is too short. Cold weather makes the hose shrink which causes it to leak. Would the leak continue once the engine is warmed up? Mine does... It actually smells worse once the engine is warmed up.

While inspecting the fuel lines looking for the fuel leak, I noticed that the "top" of the engine (under the intake manifold; flat block area) is covered puddles of coolant. Now that it's cold out (-25C / -15F) I can see it steam come out of the hood scoop when stopped after the car is warm. From the amount of steam and the fact that it doesn't go away (over several days), it must be a relatively good sized leak. Any ideas on what could be leaking under there? Frost plug? Block heater? Bypass hose?

I'm pretty sure the intake is going to have to come off. How big of a job is that? I have a well equipped garage with a hoist; can it be done in an evening with a helper? Anything special to look out for or is it pretty straight forward? Sorry for the newbie q's; this is my first Subaru.

Thanks!

Vince

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well define a single evening...personally i would set aside like at least half a day to remove the manifold and hopefully deal with the fuel leak....
    Its rare but i have heard of the water pipe under the manifold leaking....also check where your coolant temp. sensor screws into the H20 pipe....and obviously do a thorough visual of everything....if i were you i would get a helper start the car up (get it up to operating temp) and browse around under the hood....if its truely a significant leak it should be visable...or you could pressure test the cooling system if you have a cooling system pressure tester...the block heaters on these are i believe screwed into the bottom of the block... i have seen some of the oil gallery plugs up on top of the engine leak oil up there pretty significantly but never a coolant leak....as i said earlier i would start with a visual and a pressure test of the system....
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 12-15-2008 at 09:03 AM.