AC and heater problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AC and heater problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2005 impreza with the 2.5i with 56000 miles that I bought a week ago. When I get ...

AC and heater problem

I have a 2005 impreza with the 2.5i with 56000 miles that I bought a week ago.

When I get in my car my heater blower works great. After I drive for a while the heater totally stops blowing air into the cabin.

I figured out (i think) the evaporator was icing up as I drive and when I shut the car off it melts.

I charged the AC system to the specifed pressure and the AC stopped working all together - the compressor would kick on, and the belt would squeal like crazy and the RPMs drop drastically. The compressor kicks off and the rpms come up. No cold air out the vents

I let some pressure out and the AC started workign again, but it ices up and stops blowing any air. Its not a problem on short trips, but on a 2 hour drive there is no climate control for 1.5 hours

Can you guys help? what do I need to do? Is this a common problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yea, you TOTALLY overfilled your AC. You are locking up the compressor. That's why the sticker says that you should only allow a certified tech to service your AC. Even though you can buy the refrig, it is still ILLEGAL for you to install it. Just nobody enforces it because it is less harmful then R12.

You should have your system evac'ed and refilled by a competent service facility.

What is your geographical location? If you are running the heater, the evaporator should not be icing up. If that is even posssible. Been doing this for almost 15 years and that would be a first for me. You probably have another issue. But if you think it's icing up. Use recirculated air, not fresh air.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

any advice on what else it could be then? My low pressure line is visibly icing up when i run the AC for even a few minutes. Is that normal? If not, what would cause that?
    What else would cause the air to stop coming out the vents after drivng for a while?

Can you hear the fan running? If the blower is running and you get no air out the vents there is probably a clog, or rats nest somewhere. If you hear no blower you have a blower motor issue.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

The fan is blowing, and i do think it is some sort of a clog. But here is the thing - it works fine when I turn the car on, then after twenty minutes it stats blowing less and less air , until it just feels warm (or cold) at the vents. Then I shut it off for a while and then it works great when I turn the car back on.

It would make sence if this was a vista computer, but its not - its just a bunch of vents and a blower.

That is why i suspected icing. because it would freeze and clog then melt when the car is turned off. I could be wrong here though.

Thanks for your help with this issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.