#2 Misfire. Running out of....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on #2 Misfire. Running out of.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Possible causes lol..... This car (2006 Wrx Wagon) has gone from the car I've always wanted to the car I ...

#2 Misfire. Running out of....

Possible causes lol.....

This car (2006 Wrx Wagon) has gone from the car I've always wanted to the car I wished I'd given the pass to.

The fuel pump blew in June causing quite a bit of knock before I was able to get off the road and be stranded for 3 hours. The dealer tries to charge me even with the warranty.

A few weeks later I'm getting #2 misfire codes. Take it in and they suspect a bad plug. Sooo they replace the plug and charge me 60 something $$.

Week or 2 later I'm getting the misfire code. They suspect coilpack and switch 2 with 4.

Month later (driving less distance to work now) #2 misfire code shows up. They surmise that it now wasn't the coilpack or the plug and try a "software upgrade" they charge me 45$ for and say that that was the problem.

Month goes by of minimal driving and guess what's back? The #2 misfire code. He then decides it's going to be a valve adjustment and makes me an appointment 3 weeks out.

I arrive for my appointment and he walks out with a freaking can of some sort of fuel additive and suggests we try to "clean the soot off the valve that might be sticking" before we get into the valve work.

A month goes by (2 weeks ago) and the engine light has now been on and off continuously since June. He now wants to charge me 500 bucks for a valve adjustment that he "thinks" will fix the problem. Frankly I don't think this subaru dealer has the slightest idea what he's doing at this point.

I'm talking with subaru at the moment to see what they can do. ANY idea at all what could be causing this?

This car has had a weird idle damn near since I bought it new. It basically feels like a car trying not to stall; that hitching and jerking sensation. You can really feel it when stopped at lights and it feels almost like "its heart" is skipping a beat.

The car has had all the required maint...oil changes....etc..and it's doing it's best to die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Modifications? Did you buy it new or used?

Assuming none, what plugs are in it? You may want to consider a different heat range/electrode material. I was running NGK Iridiums (BKR7EIX) but switched to NGK Coppers (BKR7E). They are about half the price and can be properly gapped unlike the Iridiums. Gap needs to be .028.

The idle might be something as simple as a vacuum leak. Aside from that, have you done a hard reset on the ECU. Unhook the negative, press on the brake pedal for 5-10 seconds, reattach negative.
    VF34'd Corvette Killer
    Bugeye Mafia Member #188

Quote Originally Posted by 03CrazyTaxi View Post
    Modifications? Did you buy it new or used?

Assuming none, what plugs are in it? You may want to consider a different heat range/electrode material. I was running NGK Iridiums (BKR7EIX) but switched to NGK Coppers (BKR7E). They are about half the price and can be properly gapped unlike the Iridiums. Gap needs to be .028.

The idle might be something as simple as a vacuum leak. Aside from that, have you done a hard reset on the ECU. Unhook the negative, press on the brake pedal for 5-10 seconds, reattach negative.
    Bought new

Cobb Catback.

Stock plugs.

I've not personally done a reset but I imagine the dealer has done a number of things after 8 or so visits for the same issue.

It's my belief that the #2 cylinder valve was damaged when the fuel pump blew in june. This issue directly after this occurred.

oh man...describe the "knocking" you heard when your FP died....just curious have you checked your injectors?

I heard of a situation similar to this on a Subaru Baja...long story short the owner had the dealer try and diag. his problem (intermittent stalling issue) they replaced damn near everything they thought was defective including the ECU but the problem still persisted....i believe SOA thought that it was just a "quirk" or something on the production line....its prob. a long shot but just mentioning it....

Also we had a vehicle similar to this the other day i believe an Outback... intermittent miss in cyl #1...ended up being a faulty head gasket.....another shot in the dark...considering it is an 06...but again just thought i would mention that.....

If they do end up adjusting the Valves i hear they are a PITA to do in the car....

Hard to remember but when I first pulled onto the offramp and noticed that the car had zero power I gave it some throttle and it was sputtering. Similar to how, say, a lawnmower sounds as its running out of gas but this was more along the lines of sag, SURGE, sag, SURGE, with a few strange bonking sounds.

I honestly don't know what a knock, a ping or a valve tapping would sound like having never heard it, but the sounds coming from the engine as it struggled to get gas were abnormal to say the least.

I went back through some of my own posts though today and noticed that on 5/25/08 the first #2 misfire CEL appeared. The Fuel pump blew 6/7/08.

I have a number of receipts from the dealer and asked them to reprint every ticket I've ever had there. Magically the fuel pump repair wasn't among the sheets he provided.

you know that car just might be quallified as a lemon. you should check it out. if you dont know what lemon is then, heres what it is

sing you are the original owner then this will work; There is a problem with the car that keeps coming back and cant seem to get fixed. thats what it is.

That is interesting. I have a misfire on cylinder four. Been reading all kinds of things on the forum and internet. Decided to change my plugs and switched my coil packs, since the exhaust smelled strongly of gas and the car's gas mileage was halved. My engine was bucking like a mule when it misfired. Read that wrx's eat plugs. Fixed the problem for a couple days. Then the check engine light came on and the same cylinder was misfiring. Ran some system cleaner through the tank, didn't fix anything. Not sure what to try and fix next.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.