RPMs spiked to 5000?! Help

This is a discussion on RPMs spiked to 5000?! Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guys i was driving home after getting a car wash today and i had the cruise on goin down ...

RPMs spiked to 5000?! Help

hi guys i was driving home after getting a car wash today and i had the cruise on goin down the highway and the rpms shot up to 5000 and stuck there. i tried putting on the brakes, stopped shut off the car and started it again, and moving the accelerator. nothing. it would just go right back to 5000.

After waiting like 5 minutes i started my car again and it stopped. it seemed kind of sluggish but it ran and everything. Any ideas of whats goin on or if this has happened to anyone? all help is appreciated... thanks
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well its likely the engine got wet through the hood scoop so there is a good chance a connector got soaked. it says you live in Minnesota idk what type of weather you got there at the moment but its possible water could have possibly frozen on a connector or somethin man. did it set a cel?

yeah i kinda thought something may have frozen. it was really cold out, the water froze to my car b4 i could dry it off. it hasnt happened again but a friend of mine described the exact same thing when it was really warm out. so idk man?

No, no CEL... i thought that was odd

but yeah its cold in MN, thats for sure.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->