$500 for Pad and Brake Line Replacement?

This is a discussion on 0 for Pad and Brake Line Replacement? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently ordered EBC Green pads for the front and rear brakes as well as stainless brake lines. A local ...

$500 for Pad and Brake Line Replacement?

I recently ordered EBC Green pads for the front and rear brakes as well as stainless brake lines. A local Subaru shop quoted me almost 500 bucks for the labor. Is that reasonable? I was expecting 2-300 at the most...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That's way too high - brake pads/lines are a pretty easy install. You should do them yourself.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

That's a little costly. I'm not sure what your labor rate is there, but I'll break down what it cost me to do that exact job at my house with 4 jackstands, a socket set and an impact gun:
    Hawk HPS pads (front and rear): $130 @ 5-Star Performance
    Stainless steel lines (front and rear): $130 @ Ralley Direct
    Brake Fluid: $16 @ Ralley Direct
    Time: 2 hours (Labor rate around here around $60/hour)

Note I took my time, seeing as I had to make sure I put all the springs, wear sensors, clips, etc. back and it was my first time on this brake set. I also in that time was draining and filling the transmission, and rotating the tires.

So, that's $260 in parts, and $120 in labor. Total: $380. At $500 in labor, your boys taking around a full day to do that install....perhaps they don't really know what they are doing?...
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

I was pretty sure it was high. They quoted me $84 an hour so that is almost 6 hours.... a long time for a simple task. What shocks me is that they are the subaru "performance" shop with an AWD dyno. I figured they would be more down to earth....

Sounds more like their charging more since they are a "Subaru Performance Shop". People will sometimes pay more for percieved better quality. In many Subaru cases, they might very well be the autority and a better bet (trans work, motor overhaul), but a mundane task that anyone with mechanical knowledge can do is not the case. Personally, it has the feel of "this is beneath us, so if you're going to take up my valuable time, it'll cost you".
    Vf-39 all the way!

Facebook / Myspace

Wow....another shop just quoted me $600!!! I think I will be end up doing this myself....

If you were anywhere near PA, I'd say stop on over. 2 people could have this done in no time!
    Vf-39 all the way!

Facebook / Myspace

A buddy of mine and I are going to go ahead and do the work. I think it will be a good time to do an oil change and tranny fluid.