OBD scanner question? 1993 WRX CEL Light coming on!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on OBD scanner question? 1993 WRX CEL Light coming on!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 1993 Import WRX, it is showing a CEL light, which scanner will i need to use for ...

OBD scanner question? 1993 WRX CEL Light coming on!!!

I have a 1993 Import WRX, it is showing a CEL light, which scanner will i need to use for this model?? will it work with OBD2 as thats all i can find on the net??
    Any ideas please let me know guys!!

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by az_e11 View Post
    I have a 1993 Import WRX, it is showing a CEL light, which scanner will i need to use for this model?? will it work with OBD2 as thats all i can find on the net??
    Any ideas please let me know guys!!

Thanks in advance!!!
    Hard to tell.I am assuming it is OBD I as OBD II was not standard untill 1996 but I could be wrong.European based Subaru websites (UK) might have better answers as the WRX's didn't hit the US untill 2002.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Re-

Hey thanks for the info..

If it helps I have uploaded a picture of the wiring connections used to check the cel, it looks like i have two small Black plugs which connect into each other, a larger yellow plug, and two green plugs which connect into each other??
    Hope this will help in working out what setup my car has

Any ideas wud be appreciated!!

I Support ClubWRX
    have no idea where your from so if your in the USA you can go to most auto stores (Advanced Auto,Autozone) and they will scan the CEL/DTC for free.Looks like it might be OBDII because of the green diagnostic connectors in your picture.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+1 see if an auto parts store will pull the code(s) for you....the green connectors are most likely the diag connectors and the yellow connectors most likely have to do with the airbag...i believe on the Gen.1 Subarus here in the US like the old legacys and imprezas the CEL is read with flash codes...there may be a pin taped behind one of the black connectors and if memory serves me correctly your supposed to probe one of the terminals in the black connector (or plug the black connectors together) and the CEL will flash and you will have to decipher the flash codes(dont hold me to that) Some of Subaru's ABS and Airbag systems are like this also(so those black connectors could be for the CEL codes,ABS or Airbag system)....
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 12-01-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Re

Thanks for the help guys. i am in the UK, and i read some where to reset ecu you plug both black connectors together and both green together this is supposed to reset.
    I have done this and here a ticking noise and the cel light starts flashing and it did go out for a few days but then it came back.
    Thats why I know the problem is still there hence i need to get the right scanner to read the error code!!

I am unsure what the yellow connector is for though maybe for the scanner, this is why i am trying to work out wether its OBD1 or OBD2.
    My car doesnt have an airbag fitted, its a 1993 WRX.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.