please help guys: tranny/clutch problem ?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on please help guys: tranny/clutch problem ?! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; please help guys: tranny/clutch problem ?! The car is a 2002 subaru impreza wrx, 5 spd. 114k on it. i ...

The car is a 2002 subaru impreza wrx, 5 spd. 114k on it. i dont believe the clutch has been changed.
    I have had the car for around a month now.

I have made it from stock to a stage 2 (cobb intake, hks exhaust, erz DP, cobb ap v2).

now for the problem...

The clutch engage point has gotten higher than it used to be, it almost has to be all the way up, and it used to be lower, and maybe a little firmer. The car shifts fine and stays in gear fine. u just have to let the clutch out more, like all the way up before it engages, and also rev a little higher from stop to first. i think it feels slightly less firm than it did before, but it is not too soft, it always works and never 'disappears'. Other than what was just said, the problem is that the car slips out of gear (like u are driving and randomly go to neutral and it revs, then goes back in) sometimes it likes a sec and im driving and it slips from say for example 2.5-5k. it happens more so if I get on a gas a little. it doesnt happen everytime i shift, let alone drive. but if i get on it, even remotely fast, not floored, it will slip out of gear, then go back in and maybe do it more than once, during one say 20 min drive. it has happened when i drive slow, not much tho. like i said it shifts fine, clutch always engages when i press on it. it just slips out of gear for a sec or two when u get on it at all. and its less responsive (softer, but there), and engage is def higher. it was already high, but now its like all the way up on the pedal.

i think the fact that the clutch engage point is higher and slightly less responsive has something to do with it, in fact it would make sense that in some way, ones begets the other. (one begets the slip).

what does this problem sound like?

is there an adjustment u can make to stiffen the clutch or make the engage point lower (not the pedal being all the way up before it hooks). can i flush something? how do u kno if fluid needs changed? (dirty, wrong color? how is it supposed to look?).

do i need to bleed the brakes? with a brake bleeder kit? and how do i do that if so.

does it sound like a bad slave or master cylinder? if so which and how do i tell which n fix it. how much would it cost?

does it sound like a bad clutch? if so how or for how much can i fix it?

i dont think it is a bad clutch but i could be wrong. it was fine a few weeks ago. i dont drag it. ive only redlined a cpl times.

please help! and ask for clarification if needed.

PM or respond.

Nate

(cincy, OH)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

try bleeding ur clutch line and check fluid level. also check fluid level on the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by cincysubie View Post

The car is a 2002 subaru impreza wrx, 5 spd. 114k on it. i dont believe the clutch has been changed.
    I have had the car for around a month now.

I have made it from stock to a stage 2 (cobb intake, hks exhaust, erz DP, cobb ap v2).

now for the problem...

The clutch engage point has gotten higher than it used to be, it almost has to be all the way up, and it used to be lower, and maybe a little firmer. The car shifts fine and stays in gear fine. u just have to let the clutch out more, like all the way up before it engages, and also rev a little higher from stop to first. i think it feels slightly less firm than it did before, but it is not too soft, it always works and never 'disappears'. Other than what was just said, the problem is that the car slips out of gear (like u are driving and randomly go to neutral and it revs, then goes back in) sometimes it likes a sec and im driving and it slips from say for example 2.5-5k. it happens more so if I get on a gas a little. it doesnt happen everytime i shift, let alone drive. but if i get on it, even remotely fast, not floored, it will slip out of gear, then go back in and maybe do it more than once, during one say 20 min drive. it has happened when i drive slow, not much tho. like i said it shifts fine, clutch always engages when i press on it. it just slips out of gear for a sec or two when u get on it at all. and its less responsive (softer, but there), and engage is def higher. it was already high, but now its like all the way up on the pedal.

i think the fact that the clutch engage point is higher and slightly less responsive has something to do with it, in fact it would make sense that in some way, ones begets the other. (one begets the slip).

what does this problem sound like?

is there an adjustment u can make to stiffen the clutch or make the engage point lower (not the pedal being all the way up before it hooks). can i flush something? how do u kno if fluid needs changed? (dirty, wrong color? how is it supposed to look?).

do i need to bleed the brakes? with a brake bleeder kit? and how do i do that if so.

does it sound like a bad slave or master cylinder? if so which and how do i tell which n fix it. how much would it cost?

does it sound like a bad clutch? if so how or for how much can i fix it?

i dont think it is a bad clutch but i could be wrong. it was fine a few weeks ago. i dont drag it. ive only redlined a cpl times.

please help! and ask for clarification if needed.

PM or respond.

Nate

(cincy, OH)
    if your engage point has moved up significantly in a short time that means you probably burned it and now its slipping which is not good......you probably need a new clutch

you need a clutch.

is that avg for one to go out after 114k?

so do i need a new clutch or should i try to bleed the lines n refill?

the fluid level was fine.

bear with me i am new to 5 spds.

i only saw two fill points, a brake fluid, and a smaller brake fluid resivoir. both dot 3.

they were both clear containers with black fuild. levels were fine.

there was another black container like 4 lines were on top of, it was all black, not transparent.

were those the two lines to check?

i looked at the manual and could see what the heck they were talkin about.

if i need a new clutch. how much are they and how cheap could i install one. maybe i could pay a shop under the table. lol. i cant afford dealership.

good place to buy? is that what i need?

it kinda got worse today. now it kinda shakes (like the tranny under the car rattles a littlel while it tries to go into first from a stop, it goes it, but struggles. and it slips in 3rd in 4th if i get on it at all, like most the time.

it kinda got worse today. now it kinda shakes (like the tranny under the car rattles a littlel while it tries to go into first from a stop, it goes it, but struggles. and it slips in 3rd in 4th if i get on it at all, like most the time.
    sounds like your clutch is done and yes it can go out after 114k miles...its possible to even go out after 5000 miles.....it just depends on how you drive stick.

u dont think ill have to buy a flyhweel do u? im hoping i can just resurface mine. unless i can find a light one for around 100.

u dont think ill have to buy a flyhweel do u? im hoping i can just resurface mine. unless i can find a light one for around 100.
    yeah you could just resurface it.....if your car is stock or close to stock just buy the stock clutch

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.