NEW ROTORS OR SHAVE ROTORS...mmmh
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on NEW ROTORS OR SHAVE ROTORS...mmmh within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my 02 wrx about a month ago with 63k, I need new rotors do guys recommend to ...

NEW ROTORS OR SHAVE ROTORS...mmmh

I just got my 02 wrx about a month ago with 63k, I need new rotors do guys recommend to get a new set or have them shave, how safe are shave rotors. I don't have a lot money but brakes are important obviously

thanks you guys for all the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you need to measure the thickness of the rotors and find the machine to specification to determine if they can be safely cut. if they are within specification then it is perfectly safe.

+1 measure the rotors....you should be able to machine the rotors if they are thicker than like 22.5....22 is the min. after cutting...you can usually get about 2 cuts out of a set of rotors.....if your planning on doing the rear you should have at least like 9...8.5 is the min. after cutting......however if the rotors are to thin....you can go aftermarket for the rotors but when it comes to pads stick to OEM or a decent aftermarket brand such as Hawk or something....personally i would not buy NAPA or autozone pads...we get cars all the time with brake squeal and such due to aftermarket brake pads ( if you really take the time to compare the OEM pad to like a NAPA pad the dimensions are completely off..i even know some people that have had to grind down the tabs on the end of NAPA pads to get them to fit properly)

yea nothing is more aggravating than cut-to-fit brake pads.

The only bad thing about turning rotors is that they will warp quicker than new ones, meaning you'll be back replacing them sooner. IF you have the money get brembo blanks or OEM rotors and slap on a good set of pads for a DD.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I Support ClubWRX
    /\ +1 with all info above.

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-30-2008 at 12:14 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

If the rotors are the originals, then I'd bet good money they need to be replaced. The only way to tell what to do is to measure the thickness though. There's really no need to grind them down unless they have big grooves or other inconsistencies. Just replace the pads and within a few hundred miles the pads will conform to the shape of the rotor. I never bother having my rotors machined. I just replace them every second set of pads. Well, normally I would, but on my STi I got 55k miles out of my first set of brake pads and I don't know if my rotors will be able to make 110k miles when I expect these pads to wear out!
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 11-30-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I took the rotors to pep- boys, they said that they were thick enough to have them shave so I did that for $12 it'll be good for now but next time i know i have to buy new ones. The only thing that I really screw up is that one of the bolts that holds the caliper was so rusted that the head broke off, but i was able to take care of it

thanks for all of your help guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.