Is Walmart Oil Supposed to Smell Skanky?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Is Walmart Oil Supposed to Smell Skanky? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I needed to add some oil after burning off a little from my last track day. I usually buy whatever ...

Is Walmart Oil Supposed to Smell Skanky?

I needed to add some oil after burning off a little from my last track day. I usually buy whatever synthetic 5w30 brand is on sale for around $5/quart at Pepboys or Autozone but haven't seen any on sale lately. I was in Walmart the other day and since people have said Walmart brand is as good as other brands, picked up a 5 quart jug of 5w30 synthetic for $18. They were out of 1 quart sizes and even the 5 quart jugs, but I happened to find a 5 quart jug on the ground hidden behind some other 5 quart jug. They had a sign apologizing for their lack of supply of Mobil 1 because of the Gulf Coast hurricanes (Christ it's been like 6 months and gas is cheaper now than it's been in 3 years! - how can there still be a supply problem???). The jug looked clean, but I couldn't find any sell-by date on it.

It still had the seal on it when I opened it, but shortly after pouring some into my engine, noticed a distinctive skanky smell. It looked clear like any other new synthetic oil. I don't know how to describe the smell - maybe somewhat fishy, or maybe something I've smelled in a machine shop. I've never had new or used motor oil smell like this before, and I haven't opened a new quart of non-synthetic oil in 5 years and used everything from Mobil 1 to Castrol Syntec to Penzoil Platinum. So does Walmart 5w30 just normally have this bad smell? Also I wished they'd design a 5 quart jug that you could pour from without spilling like 1/2 quart from the top without a funnel!
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Walmart has some decent prices.

I buy Castrol Syntec 5w30 and it costs me $20-25 for 5qt, and I've never had any issues.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yes, all the children that die on the packaging line go into the mix.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

God created turbo lag to give V-8's a chance

Those 5quart bottles shure are cheap, especially in walmart.

but I have an autozone card so, a majority of my auto supplies are bought from there.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

I Support ClubWRX
    Walmart oil is made from the oils of real Walmart employees....and whale blubber.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Skanky fishy smell? You sure its motor oil you smelling? Nothing wrong with the oil from Walmart man, I buy it from there all of the time. Price always varies, I think the last time I paid around $19 for a 5qt jug.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

csm
    I thought it was just the door greeters that smelled skanky at WalMart.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.